Housebreaking advise? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Housebreaking advise?

Got this email a few min ago, I have given him advise and a few things that he can try. Any additional info. would be welcomed
Thanks,
Jules

In mid-Oct. we rescued a female GSD, she is approx. 2 years old. At an early age, she was a breeder surrender due to neglect. Then she was adopted out to the 'perfect family' who left her in the back yard where she was starved down to 35 pounds. Luckily, she was picked up for a second time by animal protection services and turned over to a local rescue group. She was vetted and sent to a canine training facility to get healthy and learn some manners. Twenty pounds and four months later, we picked her up and brought her home.

We call her Autumn. She is my second GSD and a wonderful dog. She is happier and healthier and getting more confident every day. One small problem...she is not house broken!! She is on a very dependable schedule and has ample opportunity to do her business outdoors. (5-6 breaks per day) I also lift the water bowl in the evening after dinner. She doesn't have accidents frequently, but, she will pee and poo in the house. For this reason, she is crated when we are not able to keep our eyeballs on her every move. (about 4 hours per day and at night). She will not mess in her crate. When she is not in the crate she is gated into our kitchen because the floors there are vinyl. Much easier to clean than carpet!

She hasn't ever lived indoors, so I don't really know what to expect. In your experience, does it take this long for an adult dog to become house broken? Do you have any suggestions that might be helpful? She doesn't make any attempt to let us know she would like to go out, so it is almost always discovered after the fact. In the beginning she had no way of knowing that the behavior is unacceptable, however, I have caught her in the act a few times so at least she understands that now. I can tell she feels bad when I discover a mess...but it doesn't seem to stop her.

Is there anything I should be doing other than strict routine and crating to help with the house breaking? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions! I am looking so forward to her having the 'run' of the house. Thank you!!

Dru

New Beginnings Shepherd Rescue, Inc.
A 501(c)(3) Tax Exempt Organization
Member of the AGSRA, Inc.
Member of the GSDCA, Inc.
OTRA Verified Transport Rescue
SC Charitable Org.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVING NEW BEGINNINGS TO OLD FRIENDS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Housebreaking advise?

Just like with a new puppy - put her on leash and tie the leash to you. That way she can't go on the house without you seeing her start - and THAT is when you need to associate a command with the act of going outside to potty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page