Training to a target wand - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Training to a target wand

I built my own target wand today. One light metal (aluminum?) rod, one small plush ball, and some electrical tape. I made a goal today to teach him to target the end of the wand (the soft, green ball) without any verbal ANYTHING from me. Heck, without any body language, as much as I could stifle that, anyway.

Rules: Renji must touch the ball with his nose. Touching the stick does not count. I may only mark with the clicker, nothing more. The only reward is food. I cannot talk to him nor encourage him with my voice nor body. I cannot wave the wand around or lure him with it.

Renji was curious with me messing with stuff so I knew it'd be easy to get him to sniff the end- just hold it out. I held it out near his head, he put his nose to the ball (the target) to sniff, instant click then treat. I can tell now that we're doing extensive clicker work that that *click* makes quite an impression as it's obvious in his facial expression. I did a few more with the target in close proximity to his face and it was pretty clear he had it down. At one point I held it out and he tried doing some other tricks like sit and down, and I just held the wand and waited, staring at the target. Finally he came up to sniff/touch, and he got a click + treat. He's learning- testing what is going on to see if anything else will garner a reward, then learning it's only the target.

We then tried it at greater distances and also at various heights. Touch the target on the floor, touch it in the air so that you have to stand on your hind paws, move a few feet to touch the target, etc. I even put the target up to his rear and he curled around to touch it. At one point he tested the targeting again and after waiting for awhile I had to move it closer, then he targeted and got his click/treat. It was after this that I was able to move to greater distances.

This was all done in one session of just.... 5-10 minutes. All with only the clicker, no voice or body language. Very cool. Hopefully this will be useful at some point. Renji already knows how to target to bucket lids on the ground but this will be a more precise method of targeting. We'll see where I can go with this.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Training to a target wand

Targeting is fun and can be used for tons of things. I made a collapsible target stick using an antennae and a piece of colored tape for the end to make the target part more visible.
I've used targets (nose or paw) to train dogs to turn a light off, go across the room, wave, paint a picture using a special dog paintbrush (a sponge attached to a bootie), and play a synthesizer among other things. Another type of target I find useful is a tube... Most hardware stores have these short clear tubes with brightly colored caps for storage of small items. One end opens if you press the sides. They can also be used to hold food so the dog will be more interested in them but once you click/treat for touching them a few times you really don't need to store any food inside to get the dog's interest in my experience. These are useful because you can place them somewhere in the room and use them as a target, ask the dog to touch and they have to locate the target. You can also toss them away from you and ask the dog to go touch. This can be useful if you want to train something that involves going to a certain spot or walking away from you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

This probably doesn't apply to Renji, but for Kenya we used this stick to build confidence, give her control, and keep distance between her and the other person. She is still building a relationship with DH and re-learning that not all men are going to shout at her and try to tackle her to the ground. The stick means she can earn treats without being "commanded" to do anything (often it's the man's voice that shuts her down). She just taps her nose to it and she knows she gets a treat. DH can use it to direct her to a spot without having to use his voice or his body.

It was such an easy thing to train, took about two minutes. I just held up the stick and her being naturally curious, went to sniff it and I clicked. She even figured out to touch her nose to the end of the stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

ChicagoCanine, that is so awesome! I love all those tricks.

Lies, it sure will apply to Renji. I'd like to use it the same way to eventually make encounters with people less frightening/threatening and also give Renji something to concentrate on around other dogs. We need to work on the target wand a lot more outside. Time to attach a cue!

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We used the target wand today and attached a command to it. He just LOVES it. I have a bean bag that's chair-shaped and I used the target wand to encourage him onto the unsteady, strange surface. He was able to get all four feet on the wobbly surface! The target wand helped him build confidence and give him something to concentrate on while he overcame a fear.

I see that he's trying to paw it so I think I'm going to add a command to target with his paw.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 PM

that's great ! I do alot of targeting work, I use a flat plastic lid, and teach the dog to 'touch' it with a foot ,, then transfer to throwing the lid around, have the dog go "touch it",,I end up transferring that "touch" to all kinds of surfaces/things..I also teach a nose target , end up with a nose or foot target command,,and like Chicago, teach a variety of different things..

dogs are so smart ))

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page