Can adult dogs be trained? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Can adult dogs be trained?

Hi, everyone. I am new here. I was planning to buy a GSD puppy, but people here changed my mind. Now I think it's better to adopt one. I've found some good dogs from petfinder.com, but most of them are adults. Now my question is: can an adult dog still be able to learn? I hope my dog can learn to understand my commands, like sit, down, jump, bark these basic ones and some other difficult ones. Does a puppy learn faster? What about 2-year-old one? or 5 year-old one? Or it just depends on the individual dog?
Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Can adult dogs be trained?

It does depend on the dog, but I've bought older dogs and retrained them. I have better luck on the younger ones but older ones can be retrained, just might take longer as some things are pretty well ingrained and have to be untaught.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

I got a retired showdog at age 7. My trainer then trained him to be my working handicap assistance dog.

Adult dogs are VERY trainable!!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:04 PM
dd
Crowned Member

Yes!! And rescue dogs are so eager to please and to bond with you.

dd

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Crowned Member

I taught a 4 year old dog agility. He was better at it than I was.

Anyway, you can DEFINITELY teach an old dog new tricks.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Absolutely! Adult dogs are very trainable. The success of training any dog, pup or adult, comes down to the skills of the trainer. If you find a good trainer in your area to help you, you'll be all set regardless of what type or age of dog you get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

YES! I got my female when she was almost 4. She was house trained and had good manners and basic obedience, but besides her conformation title, I did everything else with her as an adult (rally, agility, herding, therapy, CGC, etc). We are STILL training and adding new events to try. In May we are doing a Dog Sport trial for the first time and if I get around to it we'll do AKC or UKC obedience competition.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Crowned Member

Dogs of any age can be trained! My previous dogs were strays, I found them at 2 years old and 4.5 years old and they both had no obedience training whatsoever. They both were smart and learned very quickly. My Golden went to Novice AKC Obedience level training and also became an agility dog and learned carting, flyball, freestyle, a number of tricks and many other things. My terrier also learned obedience and agility and even more tricks than my Golden. When he was 10 years old he suddenly lost his hearing after dental surgery and I re-taught him all the obedience using hand signals instead of voice.
My current GSD was just adopted at 4 years old. She had some obedience training already but is very rusty so we're going to a class soon and I expect to have no problem training her in the same sort of things as my previous dogs.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Knighted Member

Yup you can, once you bond with them, it does take longer but is it is possible.

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Crowned Member

omg, yes! I've adopted dogs from the pound and rescues, including one that clearly had been abused. Those were some of the most obedient dogs I've ever had. In fact, they had the BEST recalls of all my dogs.

I didn't even notice that it took extra time to bond. Treat them right, feed them extra treats, take them to fun places, and poof! they adore you. Trust comes over time, but that happens with pups too.

I would not hestitate to buy or adopt an adult dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page