Barking and Jumping - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Barking and Jumping

Kipp has yet to bark at all since I got him. For those that don't know, he's 2 years old from a local shelter.

How can I make him bark? I'm beginning to think he doesn't know how.

Also, what method can I use to stop him from jumping on people when he gets excited?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Barking and Jumping

How long have you had him?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lucy DogHow long have you had him?
About a week now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Crowned Member

Give him some time, he's probably just adjusting to his new home. Did you ask the shelter if they ever heard him bark? Has your vet had a look? I'm not expert, but I'd just guess he's adjusting and will come around. Just a warning though, if he's anything like my lucy, once they start to bark you're going to wish it was back to the way it was when he didnt want to. Got any pictures?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Elite Member

Seriously ... be careful what you wish for ... I have one that I can't STOP from barking in the back yard. I have a feeling if there was a real need to bark, Kipp won't let you down.

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
German Shepherd Dog Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

Please be happy that your pup doesn't bark a lot. My crew went by the group name "The Barker Sisters" for a reason.

So far as teaching not to jump, why not train jumping on command? That might give you a handle on it as your dog will begin to think you have something to say about jumping.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM

Our adopted girl rarely barks as well. I'm thinking she was abused (there is evidence of abuse elsewhere) when she barked, so therefore doesn't. I seriously have only heard her a handful of times in the 4 months we've had her. She did bark when a stranger came to the door one time but quit when I said "its okay". That made me feel a tad better!!

She likes to jump as well to get my attention. I'll say "off" and put her into a sit. When she sits, I give her all my attention and praise. She's learned fast that sitting is how she gets loved on...not jumping!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shalimar Send a message via Yahoo to Shalimar

My cattledog was a humane society rescue, I got her at 18 months. I think it was over a month before we heard her bark other than outside at a squirrel. The flip side is once she discovered that she could bark inside she did. Frequently. Never did get her to bark when people came to the door, but she would to: go out, come in, try and get me to hurry and feed her, get someone to play with her, or just because she could.

Enjoy the quiet while you can.

Sarah
--------------------
Waiting at the bridge -
James aka Bubbadog, GSD 7/1/05 - 12/9/07
Sydney, ACD 1996 - 10/31/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page