I love obedience classes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I love obedience classes

Dakota is 7 months and we are half way through level 2. I'm enjoying the bond we are developing and I love working on new concepts.

Last night we learned some fun ways to spice up heeling, teaching your dog to spin, and passing through your legs. This spices it up and teaches your dog to refind heel position fast. It was funny watching the owners do this last night for the first time. Having a little dog would be easier for the pass through.

We are also working on straight sits and using "props" such as a platform or some type of physical barrier (PCV piping).

Any other training games that you and your dogs enjoyed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Re: I love obedience classes

I took a doggie dancing class (Doggie Freestyle) and I was so surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Lots of fun and silly tricks, and Annie and I had a good time together.

Bowing, rollovers, lie-down-dead (I point at Annie and say Bang! and she falls over on her side), backing up, circling around you frontways and backwards, pups paw to your knee every step as you back up...lots of stuff.

There's also agility stuff -- pole weaving, jumps, etc. you can do that at home but it's best to do at least introductory classes because the best part of it is how you do the directions and commands, and you need a trainer to help you be clear on that. REALLY makes you think about how you communicate with your pup. You don't have to be serious about competition to get a lot out of it.

You can check it out on YouTube and see what things you like. There are videos on YouTube that break the tricks down, too.

Here's a great doggie dancing video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ld-XZxCbyA
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:26 PM

What Obedience class are you takeing and what makes a good one? We just got Drake hes a 8 month old rescue. ANd has no real training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:26 PM

Best thing to do, in my experience, is to join a local dog club. They can give you low down on the different local classes, and notify you when trainers come through who do one-off classes (there are a lot of travelling trainers). And they often have "unofficial" training classes where you can practice your stuff and socialize your dog.

That's how I did the doggie dancing -- I was taking agility classes and the trainer let us know about the doggie dancing trainer.

Lots of good classes in your area, I'd think. Personally, I'd look for someone who clicker trains, and for a limited (10 people) class size.

Check out the Finding a Good Trainer thread.

I've signed up with the http://ahimsadogtraining.com/ people to get emails (I'm in eastern WA, so I have to make a special trip for seminars) -- they seem to put on very good seminars and I'd assume they do good classes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:37 PM

There's also a Yahoo group for people in the Pacific NW that seems to have very good people on it who would know about local trainers and doggie things to do in your area. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/NWDogActivities/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page