Will you dog obey a "come" command from a stranger - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Will you dog obey a "come" command from a stranger

A friend of mine is looking buy a 3 year old sheltie. The owner brought the dog to them and the purchaser's husband called the dogs name and "come". The dog came immediately to him and they were very impressed. I think this sealed the deal.

I wonder if my dog would obey a person she didn't know in a strange house, without being set up as in a sit/stay and come exercise. I'm going to have to test this. Any experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Will you dog obey a "come" command from a stranger

All of my dogs would look at the person like "F" you! They do the same thing to people they KNOW. BUT they aren't Shelties either!

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Crowned Member

Otto might because he's a big doofy 9 month old. Morgan, no way no how. People she knows have called her name and told her to come, she just looks at them like 'shah wrong, you ain't one of my people'. Her list of people is very short too.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

Balto would because he loves everybody. So not Belgian-like.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Inside the house, when treats are available, my doggie dearest most def. would. But outside, she wouldn't budge unless it was a friend.

Owner to Minerva - 2yo uber pup & Zelda - 13 pounds of feline fury!

"The more I see of man, the more I like dogs." ~Mme. de StaŽl
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not sure, maybe if treats were involved. When I got Bianca she didn't really listen to commands I gave at first, (she had training before I adopted her) but then again she still won't respond to "Fuss!" even though she is supposed to know that one...
My last dog (Golden) was a therapy dog so I had to teach her that she was supposed to respond to other people, not just me. She would probably come to anyone who called her unless I had already given her a command that contradicted it (like sit, stay, come) or if I told her not to go to the person after they gave the command. Oh, or if they were across a street because she was trained not to cross streets without my ok first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Crowned Member

I honestly wouldn't want my dogs to obey a come command from a stranger. I mean, if we were playing off leash and someone decided to call one of them?

There's also a difference in a dog who obeys a formal command from a stranger and a dog who is willing to run up to a stranger when invited to come say hello. Leo typically doesn't, Grace will if it is a child or woman, generally not a man she doesn't know. Rafe my foster boy will run up to ANYONE. Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet seems to be his motto.

So... the command aspect doesn't particularly do anything for me but I do think it's a good sign that the sheltie ran right up to a stranger, since they can be just as velcro as (and considerably more nervous than) GSDs. A Sheltie that likes strangers is probably a good little dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Crowned Member

Kenya - NO!!! She would do a come to ME.

Nikon and Coke - never tried, but they do in the context of the "come" game that we do at the training club, so they are coming to us, then the trainer, then us, then the trainer. Actually Coke has issues coming to us, lol. Right now Nikon wouldn't need a come, he wants to run and greet everyone if I let him.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

Mine would not have to be called as they would be right there, keeping a close eye on the intruder
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Crowned Member

No, I trained all my dogs only to respond to me and my assistant trainers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page