Lexi did SO much better at dog obedience! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Lexi did SO much better at dog obedience!

Her first week was pretty rough, she was scared of all the dogs and generally uncooperative. But last night I thought she did awesome! She did cry a little bit in the beginning but she slowly settled down and did pretty good. I'm going to make sure I work with her every day, I'm feeling competitive now and want the youngest dog in the class to be the best, LOL! Towards the end of class you could tell she was getting VERY tired and just kept laying down and it was a struggle to get her to do anything, but then they DID schedule the class during her usual evening nap time, LOL!

Anyway, I'm very proud of my little girl - who by the way is showered with compliments at the class, she is the only German Shepherd there and everyone oohs and aah over her.

One thing that is annoying to me though is there are some young children there, maybe 9 or 10, who have come with their parents and they have these HUGE dogs, I don't know what kind they are, maybe Labradoodles or however you spell it. But anyway, these dogs are totally out of control and NO WAY can these little kids handle them, so the class is disrupted several times so the instructor can go over and help these kids with these dogs. The one dog constantly growls and jumps at this little girl handling him. I understand wanting your kids involved in the training but why aren't these parents helping as well instead of standing off to the side and watching???? Not to mention that each time we have to stand there and wait for these dogs to be subdued Lexi starts to lose interest and I have to keep making her sit again.

Oh and there is one little dog there that Lexi does not like! I have no idea why she dislikes this little guy, I think it's a Jack Russell, which Lexi's breeder had all over the place so she should be used to them. But anytime she got near him she'd go for him! The rest of the dogs she tolerated very well though.

Beth

Very Proud Mommy to Maddie (human) Lexi (German Shepherd) and Bella (cat)!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Lexi did SO much better at dog obedience!

Glad to hear she adjusted.

I love taking my dog to obedience school. I am competitive as well, and like you I always receive compliments on my dog.

I would be annoyed about the kids too. We have 2 dogs that are disruptive in class. I take this as a training opportunity to proof my dog with distractions. I always look at it as better them than me.

During my 1st level of training the instructor requested that the primary trainer by a responsible adult for the 1st 4 weeks of training. After that an approved handler could take over. If the kids are that disruptive I would talk to the instructor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page