Its Me Or The Dog: 2/7/09 episode - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to bookjunky4life
Its Me Or The Dog: 2/7/09 episode

Did anyone watch this? I watch the show regularly. I found this episode strange in that I wondered 'why doesn't he just crate the dogs while he's at work' and 'why doesn't he just crate the female in a different room when his friend and her female come over?' This was the man with a female pit and a male pit mix. Victoria Stillwell must not believe in crating.

Kayla
Captain of Muddy Waters, CGC, AKC GSD - 5 yr old male
Rising Star of Juneau, CGC, CKC Alaskan Malamute - 2.5 yr old male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Its Me Or The Dog: 2/7/09 episode

I saw it. I though the same thing about using crates. Really shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out!

V.S. doesn't like crates for the most part, though I HAVE seen her recommend one ONCE. (And yet a few episodes before that she berated the owner for using a crate. )

What I thought about the "friend" is "LEAVE YOUR DOG HOME STUPID"! Why on earth would anyone with half a brain take their dog to someone elses house when the home owners dog wants to kill theirs?

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to bookjunky4life

I also wonder about her use of the nose collars, as I think their is a large consensus that they are hard on the neck muscles. When the male wouldn't sit on command, I was thinking get a prong on that guy and give him a quick little correction. He absolutely knew what she was asking but just refused. And walk the female on a prong. If the owner worked with rescue so much, you would have thought he knew these things! That poor guy was a wreck and his dogs weren't even THAT bad.

Kayla
Captain of Muddy Waters, CGC, AKC GSD - 5 yr old male
Rising Star of Juneau, CGC, CKC Alaskan Malamute - 2.5 yr old male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 PM

yeah I saw it to. Victoria is so against crates for some reason, I saw her be ok with it once though, weird. She got a new shirt!!!! Its purple!!! Why didn't that guy use crates, he had to puppies! And victoria got so upset about the nylon martingales. Their not like prong pinch collars or something. I'm soooooooo excited for westminister!!!!!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

That V.S. doesn't like crates or use prong collars doesn't surprise me at all. I'm an expat Brit, and had dogs in the UK, where dog ownership is very different. I never recollect seeing or hearing of people using crates and as for prong collars...

Joanne,
Spirit, Eli, and Aoibhe (Disabled GSD's)
Duncan, Sam, Carl and Tesla (Black Lab mixes who think all GSD's are airheads)
Teddy ("the Corgi")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Crowned Member

I've read before that in the UK many people don't agree with crating dogs. As for the headcollar I think it depends on how they are used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Dog owners in the UK don't crate dogs the way we do here. I think it's just a cultural difference

~Emily~

Bella — 4 year old black Lab mix
Jaga — 4 year old GSD, CGC, TDI
Hollandia vom Landholz (Holly) — 2 year old GSD, CGC, NNDDA SAR (land cadaver)
Oliver — crazy cat
Jake — ball python
and the fishies

Kodak, 3 year old Chihuahua/terrier mix, RIP
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:18 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I think the head collars work very well for many dogs, especially those with aggressive issue. Gives good control of the dogs HEAD and it's mouth. So she'd not using it so much as an obedience training collar (sit or down or heel or whatever) as for use in controlling the pulling or aggression, and it seems ideal for those situations.

I do think she used to not be a fan of the crates but she DOES seem to be coming around a bit on this one. I say good for her for being open minded enough to accept new things.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry, but whenever I think of that show, see the commercials or watch it, the ONLY thing I can think of is Stains...

Stains vs. Cupcakes

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Elite Member

My thoughts were the same why not crate them it seems more logical. I would love to see shows do more follow-ups on these people (and see what really) happens in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page