Socialization help!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Socialization help!!!!

Need your advice...
Rosco(altered male GSD) is just turned six months. He has his big sis Izzy(altered female Husky mix) and has no aggression at all with her. I am on a waiting list for obedience classes to begin to train him for CGC. I live in Ohio which has been in a deep freeze for the last 2 months so i have not been able to walk them....it is just too cold for me. We are talking single digits... I have a huge fenced in yard that they run and play in so they get plenty of exercise. I have not though, been able to start socializing him too much. I have 5 kids and 2 grandkids from 3 months to 21 years old. I have lots of visitors so he is around kids and people and is great with them no problems and the kids are all over him. Just no interaction with other dogs yet.
I have a neighbor with a big black lab on the other side of the fence (privacy fence not chain link) so he knows he is there and doesn't bark li crazy at him, barely even reacts to him being there. It is my husky who makes noise at him through the fence...just noise though she is good with other dogs a park, soccer field etc.
Now that it is warming up, I plan to take him to the dog park and walking him more in the neighborhood so he can meet and greet different dogs.
Did i wait too long? i want Rosco to be very friendly and behaved so i can take him everywhere I go..soccer field, pet store(I did take him once with me to the pet supplies plus with izzy and he did great except for 1 low growl that I immediately corrected when a stranger came up and began petting him without asking)does anyone have any advice on socialization in the cold months for puppies?
Like today for instance. It is warmer today and I would love to take them for a walk, but I have my 2 year old by myself and cannot walk them as a pack leader and have her come too, and I don't feel comfortable walking her in a stroller if I do not know how Rosco will react.
Should i bring him to people i know who have dogs? Is that safe? I have NO IDEA how to safely introduce dogs in their domain especially. Should I have them come to me? Any advice will be so appreciated! You guys are all so helpful!

~Jenni~
Mom of 5 kids
Mom of 2 Dogs
GSD- Rosco Von Ludwig CGC born 7/8/08 -age 2yrs
Husky Mix Izadora -Rescued in 2004 -age 8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Re: Socialization help!!!!

No advice???

~Jenni~
Mom of 5 kids
Mom of 2 Dogs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Crowned Member

I had bad luck having a play date come over here to visit with my usually happy go lucky friendly pup. WOn't do that again. If you have friends with dogs, maybe you could be on neutral territory and take a walk together?

If you have a dog park, that would be a good place. Sorry don't have any other suggestion other than classes

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Knighted Member

Patience, I'm sure you'll get some advice/suggestions on this.

Can't respond to the difficulties of doing this in a cold/snowy environment. But I think taking him to meet other dogs you know is one good way. Better if you can arrange to meet in a neutral place first and then maybe going over or inviting them.

You do want to be vigilant in allowing folks to approach uninvited like you described. If you se them coming, speak up first. Don't wait to see what they can do and do not let them come up from behind. That means you are constantly watching front and back.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Master Member

I am not an expert, but I don't think it's too late for socialization. He's still a puppy.

Have you considered Doggie Day Care? Even though it's too cold for you outside, could you drop him off at one of these even 1 day/wk for him to get dog socialization? It's 100% worth the investment. You get a socialized pup and a worn out pup. Best of both worlds in my book.

I also recommend that any day that the temp gets above single digits that you head out with him. There have surely been some days when the temps have been higher. If/when it happens again, I'd make it a point to get out to shopping areas and other outdoor places where he can meet/greet with new people and dogs.

You could also look into places that offer puppy classes (AKC Puppy STAR) or another class while you wait for CGC. Basic puppy skills are probably a must for that class.

There is a great post on the puppy page for socialization. Maybe you can get some additional ideas there.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post698128

*Tetley's Mom*

Tetley - GSD 1 Yr Old
Cheddar - Orange Tabby Cat
Cannoli - B&W Ragdoll Cat
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

thanks you guys I know its a toughie.....I think it might have to wait until it warms up a bit!
The CGC classes are going to start soon and if the kindergarten obedience class opens first, I will do that. There is only one place in my town that trains obedience so it is always booked but it is also a doggie daycare. I may take that advice and drop him off at least a half day once a week. I will call tomorrow. I was hoping that he was not getting to old so i don't end up making it worse.
Thanks for the link to the thread i will check it out!

~Jenni~
Mom of 5 kids
Mom of 2 Dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page