Barons on his way to liking dogs. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Barons on his way to liking dogs.

Well today we started Barons biweekly playdate with my friends pups. Knowing how Baron is with dogs we figured we should start slow and see what happens. What took place was amazing. Fritz came out and Baron and I were already in the fenced in area. Now last time we did this it was a long time ago it didn't really go to well. Fritz kept bullying Baron and he tried to squeeze through the fence to get away and cut his leg. This time when Fritz walked out the door she looked petrified. Baron was barking at her. I got him calmed down and then John brought her down the ramp to where we were. The two of them smelled each other and then Baron snapped on Fritz. I broke it up and Baron got corrected, he looked at me like "whaaada ya mean dad I can't tackle her and bite her leg?" So I let them smell each other for a little more and then praise, smell then praise, for a while then I made Baron sit and stay and I went over to Fritz and gave her hugs and kisses. Baron sat there watching, then I went to him and gave him hugs and kisses for sitting and letting me touch another dog without him freaking. I tried to do everything I could think of that I've read on here and boy did it pay off. We didn't do any actual "play" time today because today was just getting to know you day but when John took Fritz in the house Baron stared at the door and started crying! I couldn't believe it. So then John brought out the border collie Jake and Jake ran down the ramp because he had to PEE! So he runs down the ramp and as soon as he hit the dirt he squats to pee well Baron must have thought Jake was running at him and Baron lunged for him. I corrected him and Jake finished his bathroom break. Well I haven't seen Jake this excited in a long time. He was whining and jumping around at Baron playing. They got along really well. Heres a couple terrible cell pics

John taking Baron and Fritz for a stroll, Fritz isn't a small rotty she's 100 lbs but she looks small here.

Action shot, Baron just ran up to Fritz growled at her rear end and ran away. Look at her face she's like "what was that?"

Rambo the annihilator (Chihuahua) Born 11/28/2008

RIP
Lord Baron von Stowcreek (GSD) 12/3/07-5/30/10
Murphy (chocolate lab)
Champ (black lab)
Trixie (shep mix)
Princess (malamute/shep mix)
Ponch (white GSD)
Mork (Daschund mix)
Shane (shep mix)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Barons on his way to liking dogs.

That's great!! I know what a good feeling that is when your dog FINALLY starts getting along with other dogs. I never thought that we could have Heidi loose with other dogs because she was so reactive. It took a lot of time and effort (and expense, with classes and a trainer), but now she's in daycare and we can even take her to the dog park. She still doesn't really play with other dogs but she does chase and follow them, and seems to be getting more and more comfortable with her own kind as time goes on.

Keep up the good work!

Karin and Dave

Heidi, 9-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Re: Barons on his way to liking dogs.

Thank you so much, its nice to know others were in the same boat. Today I took him over and they did real well again. Fritz was a little nervous with Baron being there but they got along fine. OH and today somebody was walking a dog down the street and Baron barked at him but when I looked down at him he was wagging his tail! Thats a first. His attitude was different. If this keeps going the way its going maybe some day in the future we'll be able to walk in petsmart. Thats my objective

Rambo the annihilator (Chihuahua) Born 11/28/2008

RIP
Lord Baron von Stowcreek (GSD) 12/3/07-5/30/10
Murphy (chocolate lab)
Champ (black lab)
Trixie (shep mix)
Princess (malamute/shep mix)
Ponch (white GSD)
Mork (Daschund mix)
Shane (shep mix)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page