Training Challenge #5 - Leg Weaves! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Training Challenge #5 - Leg Weaves!

Yes, it's that time again. Hope you don't mind, Melanie!

This one is a fun little exercise. Teach your dog to weave between your legs as you walk! Move one leg forward and lure your dog through, then move your other leg forward and lure your dog through that leg, so on and so forth. How fast can you and your dog move and how far?

Renji and I have worked on this for awhile and we can do several in a row at a good clip before Renji ties his brain in a knot. We're working on it! Hopefully I can get a video of it this weekend.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD
Re: Training Challenge #5 - Leg Weaves!

Izzy's puppy class tried to incorporate this. I refused to do it though, I'm short and kind of clumsy. I really didn't think it a great idea to have my dog learn that running between my legs while I was walking was a good idea

It is really cute though when done right!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We haven't had "that" problem yet, thank goodness. Now that you mention it, I foresee a future post talking about how Renji ended up steamrolling me on the training field into a glorp of mud!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Knighted Member

This is a fun exercise with the right dog! My chows are good at this - since they're not very tall and have compact bodies, they can weave through my legs without much trouble. Trick learned to do this, too, but I had to be much more careful how I stepped or I'd catch her toes.

At this point I can't imagine trying it with Tazer (i.e. "the wild thing") because she'd probably kill me in the process .. *L* .. but I might pick it up again with Khana. We haven't done it in a long time. It really is a fun trick.

With all these training challenges, just think of how much we can all show off this summer! I like to do these tricks and obedience behaviors while training outside of the local stores (for distraction). People are tremendously impressed by things like heeling and stays - just think how they will be impressed by leg weaves and tick-tocks! *L*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Risa and I have been working on this all week. We finally met up with the local freestyle group (last Friday and tonite) and that was one of the tricks they really thought we should incorporate in our routine. According to the person in charge, Risa weaves very nicely.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:06 AM

I'm going to have lay out of this challenge. I am quite short, 5 foot nothing, and Jake won't fit!

Kim

Jake's Mom

Max (GSD) June 1997 to Sept 2006
Jake (GSD) Oct 2008
Keilan (GSD) May 2007
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Crowned Member

I'd better just give up now and get a SADDLE for Grimm! He is so big, he litterally sweeps me off my feet with this one!!

Me too short!

Him too big!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

We worked on a variation of this last night... "through".... which just has Anna going through my legs when they're apart..no walking involved. I think walking would lead to higher health care costs for the whole country after all the damage it could do....

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I videoed this trick for a contest on another board and figured I would share it here too.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Very nice, Jamie! We're at about that speed as well. I'm the slow factor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page