Clicker training Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Clicker training Questions

As some of you may know I am working out a reactivity issue with my pup, currently reading "click to clam" and found the clicker might just be the Best tool to work on Dexters issue.
Anyways we are looking for a really GREAT class (somewhat in our area) w/ a trainer that has experience with this, We have been calling around asking questions and such.

One of the class's we looked at is a Group Clicker class, sounded interesting... although It got me to thinking, If there is say 6 dogs in the class and everyone is clicking away, how do I know that my Dog is going to respond to my click and not someone Else's click????
I mean say the dog next to us is getting clicked for a good down while my dog is reacting, wont my dog associate the other dogs click with yes i should be barking like a nut right now cuz click means treat, even tho its not coming from me?????
Just wondering how can a group clicker class work?? Don't most clickers make the same sound?
Just wondering how a group clicker class would work, kinda confused just trying to find the right tools to help my pup succeed.

Also a while back there was a post I cant seem to find, I think it was a Maggie lee rose post, it was something like Are you clicker training or training with a clicker, I forgot to bookmark it and would love to read it again ! so if anyone knows what im talking about please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Elite Member

Re: Clicker training Questions

Ya know, that's a really good question! I look forward to seeing what experienced clicker folks have to say. Thanks for asking this!

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
German Shepherd Dog Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Dogs are pretty smart and they figure out quickly that YOUR clicker is the only one that matters. Although I have seen Risa look at me expectantly upon hearing another dog get clicked, she doesn't get a treat for it so that behavior is pretty rare. I usually just laugh at her. "That click wasn't for you."

Initially, it may take a bit of time for your dog to realize it's just your click that's important. But it doesn't take long. In fact, I've never had an issue working with Risa in a room full of other dogs also working with clickers.

If it helps, Risa is reactive too.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Crowned Member

I've been teaching for some years and have never seen a dog react to others' clickers. We have classes with anyplace from 5 dogs up to 20, with trainers for every 5 or 6 dogs - add each dogs handler, or multiple handlers and all those clickers. No problem.

Your dog will know you are the trainer - he will recognize the clicker you are holding as the positive marker for a job well done.

As Murphy-Elperroguapo said, your dog may look at you when he hears other clickers, but it will be a "let's get the show on the road" type of look.

Bonnie

-

-

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Master Member

nysirk,

Here is the link to that article: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1547

Just another cool article I found on the website. It is about a group called Javadogs that trains together.

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/269

Missing Alex
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MTAussieJust another cool article I found on the website. It is about a group called Javadogs that trains together.

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/269
That's Cassidy's trainer, Lisa Clifton-Bumpass. The article is from 2005, I don't know if they're doing it anymore. I'd love to train with her again, but her website sounds like she's only doing private training with aggresive dogs, and she's pretty expensive these days. At the time she was giving group lessons at the local adult school, but that was back in 2000/2001.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

They are pretty smart, I now see how they learn to just focus on the owners "mark/click" Kinda makes sense too because when we have used verbal markers in class the past other people have used the same mark as I (an excited YESSSS), and my dog has not respond to them, although I figured maybe it had to do with tone or something.

Thank you, Great info, The links are awesome too! That class in CA sounds awesome! That is also one of our options is there is a "Reactive-Rover" Class an hr and half away we are considering, (thanks to another board member for the rec) That is the route we are leaning towards.
I think this Clicker stuff has had the best result so far with all the stuff we have tried. Im digging into "Controlled unleashed" right now, great stuff. I still need to find the best option for trainer/ class's, I am DETERMINED to Cure/manage this, Thank you all again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page