Is your dog's obedience collar-dependent? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Is your dog's obedience collar-dependent?

Regardless of what type of collar you used to train your dog - choke, prong, E - can you put your dog on a slip lead and get the same level of obedience from them?

Or better yet - what if your dog has NO collar (or lead) - then what happens?

If you take the (insert type here) collar off your dog and they suddenly have no idea what Heel means Ė their obedience is collar-dependent.

Mauser is the first puppy I've had that Iím able to really work on obedience without using a leash or collar. In our basic obedience class he does wear them but I can let the leash drag along the ground behind him and the trainer is ok with that. In Schutzhund I donít use a leash at all (not yet, anyway). At home he trains in the buff Ė no leash OR collar.

I find it much too easy to rely on the leash/collar as a training aid. Iíve realized that I did this with Kaynya. Instead of teaching her not to jump on people I use the leash to hold her back. Not hard to do when she only weighs about 10 pounds but NOT good training on my part. Now I have to completely retrain her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Is your dog's obedience collar-dependent?

I kinda trained Grimm with hand signals.. and so he sorta hasta watch me. A Mean-n-Cruel Momma Depth Charge Voice is a good back-correction should "Epp-epp" fail me as a usual correction. I think we have used food lure, toy reward, so often when training for wacky fun in the livingroom, I can manage okay without a lead.. but NOT outdoors in public with distractions. Too risky, Grimm is impulsive and overenthusiastic.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

Kenya - yes. She has off-lead titles. Usually when we're walking in our neighborhood I let her drag her leash so I can focus on Nikon. She has also been off-lead in the last 3-4 training classes (obedience, rally, skills) we have been doing.

Coke - no, only at home or with little distraction.

Nikon - no, he's just a pup and we're not doing a lot of formal obedience until he matures. He is off lead in our yard (we have no fence) and he recalls, but he doesn't really have a "heel" or anything like that yet, even on a lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110

I've always relied on leash & collar, but since yesterday's incident, no collars on in the house, and now they both have to be retrained! I've also found it hard to just control them without the collar on. Time for some new training techniques for me I guess.

Nikki
Proud Mom to
Katie black & tan GSD 3 years old
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Crowned Member

I never looked at it that way but yes I guess at this time we are collar dependant.My obedience trainers goal and mine is for the heel,sit ,stay and so on the be able to be done off lead.I honestly haven't tried the heel w/o a device because I haven't felt the need.Just because I am curious I will be trying it when she comes in.My goal for Athena is to not have to have her tied,leashed or e collared for her whole life.I want a dog like many people can accomplish that can know her boundries and live with in them but if need be, can be on a leash.I love her too much to not train her.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The Gang
Mauser is the first puppy I've had that Iím able to really work on obedience without using a leash or collar. In our basic obedience class he does wear them but I can let the leash drag along the ground behind him and the trainer is ok with that. In Schutzhund I donít use a leash at all (not yet, anyway). At home he trains in the buff Ė no leash OR collar.
Can't wait to see if this holds up when he becomes a "teenager"!

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

Lauri, what I meant to say is-- an easily-motivated workingline boy in the house working without a distraction? PERFECT without collar or lead! That same workingline boy being an adolesent out in public? Thank God for the collar and lead. Teenagerhood means high distractability, and "teenaged intensity" with these lines is "through the roof." Even with proofing, these are strong dogs, and going through teenagerhood is a challenge!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Quote:Regardless of what type of collar you used to train your dog - choke, prong, E - can you put your dog on a slip lead and get the same level of obedience from them?
Yes or with no collar at all. Collars are a TRAINING aid, a means to an end, especially for those of us who compete.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The Gang

I find it much too easy to rely on the leash/collar as a training aid.
I have come to realize this with my guys too, to an extent. If I am going to a "doggie event" at the local park where I know there will be LOTS of people and dogs, mine will wear a prong collar but not necessarily have the leash connected to it. So we are still semi dependant on it.

What I am "hoping" to accomplish with my next dog is for him/her to be trained primarily leash free. I know I WILL need to teach with a leash but my game plan is to work as much as possible with the leash on the ground instead of in my hand. It will be an undertaking but my goal is to do as much "basic" training as possible without a leash and slowly up the distractions. Essentially I will be challenging myself to become a better doggie communicator/leader/trainer by not being so dependant on the leash.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Crowned Member

Brady is trained with hand signals
but around other dogs Need my prong

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page