Anyone familiar w/ "Sit Means Sit" shock training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Anyone familiar w/ "Sit Means Sit" shock training?

I'm ready to start some more advanced obedience training with my 10-mo-old, neutered male GSD. I use, and have always used, pronged collars and lots of praise, but the videos on the "Sit Means Sit" website are truly amazing. Please tell me the good, bad and the ugly about "Sit Means Sit" shock collar training. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Anyone familiar w/ "Sit Means Sit" shock training?

There is a thread down just a few I believe....

Welcome to the board!

TAMMY
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Crowned Member

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post921023

Here ya go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Uh-oh.... here we go again.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

No offense to the original poster but this topic WILL remain on topic and will not be allowed to become another E-Collar debate.

~Ruq~ Mod

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Taking off my Mod hat and posting as a "regular board member".

What are your goals for training? Do you currently have any issues that you are working to resolve with your dog?

I personally feel that there are better ways to train a younger dog than using an e-collar BUT I do feel that e-collars WHEN PROPERLY USED do have a place in dog training.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Master Member

Hi there, we use SMS. I love our trainer. You can read about our training in our Blog (see below for link).

Not sure where you are located, but I know some people have said that some trainers are good/others not so much. If you can give your location, perhaps you will get some personal recs for trainers.

Good luck, feel free to PM me with any questions.

*Tetley's Mom*

Tetley - GSD 1 Yr Old
Cheddar - Orange Tabby Cat
Cannoli - B&W Ragdoll Cat
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

While I won't deny shock collars have their place, I think there are better ways to train your dog. If I remember correctly, I read something by an e-collar advocate that said the e-collar is best used for PROOFING behaviors. Not training them.

I have used clicker training with my dog, Risa, for over 2 years now. I wasn't sold on the idea at first but it's simply amazing the things you can teach with a clicker! Clicker training isn't just for 'easy' dogs either. Risa is a rescue who came with some baggage (mainly fearfulness) and I've really seen her blossom into a more confident dog since I started using positive reinforcement training.

If you want to see some amazing videos of positively trained dogs, do some YouTube searches on canine freestyle. Or watch agility matches. Heck, even watch a movie with an animal star in it. They're always trained using clickers/positive reinforcement.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. I did look through the other threads as well and can see that people have a wide variety of feelings about SMS.
BTW, is there a way to search threads for a specific topic so I can avoid repeating a topic like I did here?

I live in Orlando and I was told the SMS trainer in Jacksonville is really good. I'm still waiting to hear back from her. I am a pronged collar trainer, but I incorporate lots of praise and treats and play to make it a positive experience. My 10-mo-old has responded reasonably well; he sits, stays, lays, heels, fetches and comes very well.
He does have some behavior issues that I'm having trouble breaking though: digging, jumping on people, jumping on furniture, and on-leash dog aggression and occasional people aggression.
I do not trust him off leash and I feel that I have not trained him nearly to his abilities. I am intrigued by the SMS videos and am seriously thinking about signing up. I have taken the advise of others and have tried to exercise him hard both physically and mentally, but he still seems to have some behavior issues.
I believe e-collars, when used properly, are humane and good training tools. Having the ability to stimulate or even correct a dog from afar seems to be a real benefit over some of the other methods of training discussed. I am all ears though, and I appreciate everyone's constructive feedback.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Elite Member

Here is another site for you to check out:

http://www.floridadogtrainer.com/page009.aspx

Martin Deeley, while I do not think is a SMS trainer, does train e-collar and I have heard awesome things about his dog training school!

GSGSR & GSR-SP
Trainer @ Obedient K9 Dog Training /Professional Member of I.A.C.P.
Proudly owned by Reno CGC, Lance CGC, Carlie CGC & Sniper CGC (GSD's)& Rylee CGC Yorkie(all rescues)
RIP my beautiful Cheyenne (GSD)
Dogster Id: 638901

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page