Why use the "stay" command? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Why use the "stay" command?

The way I trained Joe is to use one command and not add "stay", he holds the position without the second command. So for a down I just say down (platz actually) and that's it. I can walk away get a beer, throw a steak on the grill etc till released he holds the position, same with sit. A lot of trainers insist on using the extra "stay" command and hand signal, what is the rationality of using 2 commands + body language (sit/stay + hand motion, down/stay + hand motion) when 1 verbal command is all that is needed?

Gnash von den Sportwaffen IPO3x2, AD, HOT
Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Why use the "stay" command?

The main reason is so the dog knows that he can relax while you are away and he will not have to do anything until you return to heel position. If you don't give the stay command, he will be asked to do something else from that position and needs to continue to pay attention. This is especially important if your dog knows hand signals and doesn't move thinking that twitch you made while scratching your nose wasn't a sit or recall command.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ElaineThe main reason is so the dog knows that he can relax while you are away and he will not have to do anything until you return to heel position.
But the same is accomplished without the second (stay) command, we do it every day!

Gnash von den Sportwaffen IPO3x2, AD, HOT
Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Crowned Member

I use it b/c initially I am more concerned with a speedy response to a sit or platz command, and the dog having a correct position, than I am with the dog holding the command for extended periods of time. I use stay and wait, but my adult who I trial with has no problems doing automatic stays with her sit, platz, or halt (my command for a stand out of motion).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM
dOg
Elite Member

That's what's required in SchH, where there is no use of Stay.

I doubt there is any need for stay, if OB is solid enough. AKC OB uses a stay, most pet owners use one, but it's simply not needed if OB is to the point where the dog won't break unless
released.

Hand signals are also not used in SchH, are considered handler help and cost points in trial. While they are useful because dogs read body language better than words, and they provide both a remote and silent command structure, they are not allowed in SchH.

So depending upon what your goals are, use them or not, there is no right or wrong about it, and you can do both. When my pup was young, we did stay & hand signals. After we started up in SchH,
I used German words to help me stop using hand signals and stay. The dog learned the difference, probably quicker than I did!

For consistency sake, had I known we were going to do SchH, I might have done it differently, but I am not sorry he now knows what stay or hand signals mean and yet also knows Sitz and Plotz
means until he hears something else.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Crowned Member

Hand signals are also handy if the dog happens to either become "hard of hearing" or totally deaf as it ages. (And I am NOT talking about "selective" hearing loss. )

Just because the dog LEARNS it, doesn't mean you HAVE to use it in a trial.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CookieTN

The way I taught Cookie, she has to follow me if I start to walk away after I tell her to sit or down or whatever, so I use stay to let her know to stay put.

~Tiffany
"We represent a generation that wants to turn back a nation"~from 'Looking for Angels' by Skillet
Rest in peace, Cookie
(1998-2011)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Crowned Member

I used it because the sit is supposed to be automatic at heel and they are supposed to resume heeling when you move. A stay tells the dog it is a different pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page