list of commands - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

list of commands

Hi all,

Do you have a list of commands that you use, and what they mean?

I have a 4 yr old GSD rescue that's been with me a month. She's pretty good with sit, down, and come. I want to expand her repetoire (heel would be nice!!) and have been reading a lot and will be starting a class soon. I want to ensure consistency, and am trying to map out different commands to teach her. It seems like any command can mean lots of things - like "come" - does that mean come and sit front, sit side, down, etc. Some people use heel for sit side, others have a different command for that. And I've heard different commands for down vs down on recall.

I don't know how far we will go with training - she is very shy and distracted - but in any case I want to step out on the right foot. I haven't found any comprehensive list of recommended commands and their meanings, I read one book that recommended writing them down though, so I thought I'd ask you all?

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Crowned Member

Re: list of commands

I use "fuß" for competition heeling on the left, I am training "heel" to mean the same thing but for the right side, and "easy" for "just please don't yank my arm out of the socket." I have taught "fuß" as a position, not a movement, so I can stand a distance away from Renji and request him to stay at my left side and focus on me. "Easy" is an informal floppy-posture step off and "fuß" is a left foot step off while standing tall and starting off purposefully. Since I'm limited in my amount of feet, I'm hoping a formal right foot step off will translate well for "heel" and he can differentiate formal vs floppy for formal heeling versus just walking around. We'll see. I use "sitz" for "sit" and "platz" for formal down. I use "lie down" for "just lie down and relax for a bit but get up whenever you want after a few moments." We use "platz" for down, down in motion, down on recall, down in whatever.

We don't compete in anything yet but we're training for CGC, rally, and agility. Renji is my first dog so I'm probably making an encyclopedia's worth of mistakes with him. I agree with writing down the commands and figuring out what word/signal you'd like to use BEFORE training the command.

Welcome to the board!

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Crowned Member

For my guys,

Come means "come here", as long as they come to me, nothing else is required.

"Here" means come to me and sit in front.

"Out" means GET OUT. No matter where you are. If you are in the house, go outside. If you are in the horse stall, get out of the stall. If you are in the arena, get out of the arena.

"Wait" means stop forward motion if we are walking. If I tell the dog to "sit" then "wait", that means keep sitting and wait until I tell you someting else to do. "STAY" means stay there until I come back and get you are you are released.

Any command can mean whatever YOU want it to mean. If you want "sit" to mean "roll over" that is totally up to you.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Great, thanks! I like "easy" for loose leash walking, that sounds pretty smart.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaM..."easy" for "just please don't yank my arm out of the socket."
Same here. And I have to say it a LOT!

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:53 PM
dOg
Elite Member

Welcome to the board, Paul!

It really depends how far you want to go, and in what venue.

For living with, all you really need, is COME, SIT, DOWN, HEEL & STAY and a Release from command Que word.

If you accompany these with consistent hand signals, because dogs read body language better than words, they soon can be silent commands.

In Schutzhund though, there is no STAY allowed, nor hand signals, only verbal cammands, in whatever language. Hand signals are considered handler help, and points are deducted for using them. STAY is not allowed because if you issued SIT, it means SIT until something else is issued, be it another command, or a release.

Lots of folks use OK for a release, but it can become problematic because it is used so often in speech, and can mean so many different things, depending upon context. To expect the dog to discern the difference is unfair and causes confusion. I use FREE or FREEDOG, as it never means anything else.

A down on recall means the dog has been issued a COME, is in motion, but now is then told to DOWN. It must stop moving and DOWN. This can be a life saver if that motion is from across the street, and traffic suggests it should happen, NOW.

Over time, if you keep training beyond these basics, a dog can learn many different commands, spoken in different languages, to accomplish different things in different venues, like Agility, Schutzhund, OB rally, whatever. There are no limits beyond the handlers desire to train and the dog's willingness to learn.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:For living with, all you really need, is COME, SIT, DOWN, HEEL & STAY and a Release from command Que word.
Don't forget a heck of a solid "LEAVE IT" command! That's a lifesaver!

Quote:
Quote:STAY is not allowed because if you issued SIT, it means SIT until something else is issued, be it another command, or a release.
This is how I train. It is not "sit-stay," it is "sit" which means "sit there and remain there until otherwise directed." I do use "stay" but I am training it to mean "freeze, don't move, remain there."

For release, I have stopped using "okay" and I am now using "BREAK." It's a wonderful release command. This was on my trainer's recommendation who also made the switch and says she notices a difference.

My big mistake is with recall. I have taught "hier" as in "come over here" but I don't have a good command to mean "come here and sit directly in front of me." If I could start over, I would. Now that I think about it, I think I will use the Hungarian word for "come" to mean "come to me and sit attentively directly in front of me." I guess I have a new training challenge now!

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

Sit
Down/Platz
Come
Roll Over
Crawl
Spin
Speak
Shake/Paw/Pound
Stay - means I will come back to you
Wait - means I will give a release or another command
Here - hand targeting for my agility dog
Let's go! - loose leash walking for my puppy
Hup - informal heel (like for rally competition)
Fuss - formal heel for SchH
Pass auf! - bark, be alert, watch
Packen - bite
Aus - release
Up - jump up on the couch/bed
Down - get off
Paws up - put front paws on bed (for therapy)
Load - jump into the car
Kennel - run and get in your crate
Front - sit in front of me
Swing - left finish
Finish - right finish
Halt - stand-stay out of motion
Target - touch the target pad with your nose
Touch - touch the object with your paw
Nose - touch the target wand with your nose
Back - heel backwards
Get in - tight pivot left
Get around - run out and around the object
Teefers! - I'm going to open your mouth and show your teeth (for my conformation puppy)
OK - my release word
Yes - my reward marker (and the way I use it, it does NOT release/end the behavior)

My adults learn that sit and down have a built in stay, but I still also train a "stay" and a "wait" because some of the tests and levels we do in our obedience program use it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

this is helpful, thank you all. This feels like a dumb question, but what about when you say the dog's name - do you expect attention, eye contact? Or use a different command for look/watch me?

Edit - when do you use name/command, and when just the command?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

In SchH, you can't use a name, just a command. In AKC, you can use both. I expect eye contact with my dog's name or I will use the watch command. Either one works.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page