endurance training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

endurance training

i need some ideas on ways to build tyson's endurance. it seems even though he has a lot of drive his muscles dont. his first few bites when we are training are awesome, hits like a rock. but after a few bite and fights he gets tuckered out, still wants to bite and fight but just doesnt have as much force behind it.

so here are ideas i got so far..

1) run him on a treadmill.

2) there is a big sleading hill in town that i can run him up and down (which would probably be better then a treadmill.)

3) jog/ride a bike with him.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Re: endurance training

That's what Keeta is like in training too. But I noticed a huge improvement in her energy, stamina, and ability to maintain focus and stay in drive for longer periods after I started training her for the AD.

The AD a Schutzhund 20km (12.5 miles) endurance test, with the dog trotting by the handler on a bicycle. So basically, I biked with her three or four times a week, working my way up from five minute rides, to one hour rides, and occasionally longer. Alternated 2-3 km rides pushing her for speed, and 5 to 10 km rides at a steady trot for endurance.

It was fun to train for, and we had no problem with the AD, and one fringe benefit was that her mental and physical stamina for obedience and bite work also improved.

I'm not sure how cold it is where you are, or how much snow you have, so bicycling this time of year may not be practical. The threadmill would work, but I always wonder why people bother instead of just taking their dog out for a walk or jog - though I understand that some people may have mobility limitations.

The big sledding hill sounds great! I know horse people condition their horses for endurance events by making them trot up hill a lot - really builds muscle and stamina. One thing that I do in the winter is go cross-country skiing on the trails in my neck of the woods with my dogs. If the snow conditions are good, I can go fast enough that the dogs have to run/trot to keep up with me.

I know one World level Schutzhund competitor who swims his dog for 30 minutes every day when preparing for competition. Excellent conditioning without the repetitive stress on the joints.

Edit: I just saw that Tyson is just over a year old? Be careful about endurance training him at this age, he is still growing and developing and too much repetitive stress can cause joint damage. He may be too young for bicycling/jogging on the road. But it would be okay for him to run on softer surfaces like snow, dirt trails, at his own pace, and let him stop when he is tired.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Re: endurance training

the age factor is also what i was thinking about. we walk once or twice a day down at the soccer feilds/city park where he can run off lead (if no one is around) and he runs around at his own pace which is nice. i think i will keep doing what i'm doing and then push him a little more when he's a bit older.

i wish i had a pool!!

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page