Puzzling basic pet obedience class LENGTHY - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to bookjunky4life
Puzzling basic pet obedience class LENGTHY

I train my dogs for competitive obedience. We're still at a novice level but beginning to trial here and there. There are no competitive or advanced classes in my area that are close enough for me to drive to.

I called a local dog grooming/training/boarding business. I was led to believe they offered an advanced/competitive oriented class in January. Last night was our first class. It is a basic pet class. I'm okay with that as the distraction training is what I need the most right now with my GSD. Beggers can't be choosers kind of mentality.

There are 8 dogs total. The other 7 were required to take a pre-class class with no dogs last week. I am unsure exactly what occurs at it.

One dog is an extremely strong, large dog with an owner who cannot physically hold him back. He is also reactive at best, aggressive at worst. My dog experience tells me he's dog aggressive. He barks constantly at other dogs in class and pulls toward them when they approach too close (not very close at all) and he pulls her three or four steps before she can stop him. Most of the other dogs have no idea how to sit which is apparent. Folks are collar popping (prong and buckle alike) to dogs who appear to have not been taught a lured sit or a collar pressure upwards means sit. I've been around competitive minded trainers too long now. I think pet owner's in a training setting could make me insane!! It was chaos but got a little more controlled throughout the class. We began by spacing out in a circle around the room and had our dogs sit and down and try to distract them from the sit or down. We also did group loose leash walking, and some meet and greets. But this progressed quickly over the hour with dogs that 90% of them by all appearances have no idea how to sit on command!!! I've taken basic obedience classes twice about two years ago with a different trainer who is much more in charge and I've never seen a training class conducted in this manner. The trainer is in her 20s and is very very nice. Her dog was in class with her and he was extremely well behaved, as she competes occasionally herself. Its obvious she has the knowledge of training and behavior. I think she is apprehensive about really truly taking charge and being "confrontational."

I do not want to drop out of the class, as I would prefer to help her improve her classes, as I don't see how anyone can get much out of the class unless you already know how to train your dog and you're just in for distraction, even then with the aggressive dog and the constantly barking dog and people saying 'sit, sit, sit, sit, sit, .. . . .' all at the same time. Yes, she lets them give multiples of tens of commands without making the dog do the command. I've always learned don't repeat the command. She also NEVER SAID ONE WORD to the aggressive dog owner. I saw her giving lengthy advice to the barking dog, just over excited type of GSD. There are little toy dogs on harnesses being yanked, Fido, sit - she lays down for one second - and is up again. The aggressive dog owner can't even correct him with the prong he's wearing because its always already tightened. It does not phase him one little tiny bit. When I started training in basic a few years ago I was very unconfident, shy, tentative, etc. Now, I've been in this world long enough and understand how everything works that I'm MUCH more confident, although I am not a confrontational person.

I don't know how to ask her what in the world is she thinking?! How would you broach this subject. She doesn't have email that I know of or that would be my first option. Its going to have to be in person or over the phone. This girl is really smart, really loving of the dogs, and sweet as can be. She is only a year or two older than myself. I think her major issue is she is nonconfrontational. But that's just my impression from one hour.

Oh, and to make it GSD related, 4 of the dogs, 50%, (including mine) are GSDs

Kayla
Captain of Muddy Waters, CGC, AKC GSD - 5 yr old male
Rising Star of Juneau, CGC, CKC Alaskan Malamute - 2.5 yr old male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Puzzling basic pet obedience class LENGTHY

I just went to our first obedience class last week.My instructor is awesome I guess.Athena was barking when we first got there and would not shut up.W/in seconds she came over took her leash and had her behaving for the rest of the night,she also took another dog that was a total spaz and got it under control.It sounds like you need to talk to her some how and you just might have to pass until someone more qualified comes along.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I absolutely think she is qualified. I just feel she's not stepping forward like she should and using those skills. Is it wrong for me to go up to one of the don't-know-how-to-sit dogs and point blank ask the handler if her/his dog knows how to sit. If they respond yes, ask what method they used to do so?

Kayla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:14 PM

We took our GSD pup to a similar class when he was about 3 months old or so. We were not the brightest bulbs on the tree, but that's why we were there. Same deal though, no way to conact the trainer via email or anything. We didn't finish the course because there were too many things we didn't like about it. What really pissed me off though was no phone call to ask why we stopped coming. As long as the check was in the bank who cares, right? For all she knows we could have all been killed in an accident or something.

It left a bad taste in my mouth for so-called dog trainers. I wish there were some around us.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 PM

All I can say is good trainers are hard to find in some areas. I've had a similar experience to you LedZep. Sure wish we had a trainer like the OP nearby.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LedZepWe didn't finish the course because there were too many things we didn't like about it.
May I ask what types of things you didn't like about it? I'm asking because your perspective would have been similar to that of my current classmates.

Kayla
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Elite Member

I hear you!!! We went to our first class last Saturday, I'm sure I know more than the trainer. I knew this class was for socialization, and lots of doggy exposure. 4 in our class, meet and greeted no real problems. But 2 of the other dogs have so much energy, we did watch me with a clicker, 4 clicks Pup has got it, the lab (7 months) and the goldendoodle (12 months) could not sit or stand and focus on the food to the eye words WATCH ME and click. It was beyond them and the owners don't realize you have to exercise your dog so they can focus. Those 2 dogs/pups had so much energy it was unreal. I think both dogs pretty much run the show when at home.
Pup is 5 months I had to laugh he just plopped down on the rug and watched. This is great for Pup he was very calm and cool through it all. In fact the one women came over and wanted to know why Pup listened so well. I told her he gets lots of exercise and I work with him every day on something. Then she asked me if I would take her dog home and train him.
That was to funny, I told her I had 2 more at home that were learning also.

Sorry I didn't mean to ramble but I can't believe the people who get puppies and let them get to almost adult hood and then start to train them. What happened to going to puppy classes.

I can imagine how your class went, I can picture this group in my head. EKKKKK-HELP!!!

I think maybe by what you have said maybe she would appreciate the offer of help. All she can say is no.
Sounds like you know what your doing so you would be a great asset to the class.

Keep us posted I'm interested in hearing how your class turns out. Good Luck!!!

Sherri & the 6 Holy Terrors...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog. SL"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 07:56 PM

I would definately say something to this "trainer"..you know I have found there are a couple types of trainers,,trainers that really can train others,,trainers who's own dogs are well behaved/trained but CAN'T train others and then your downright 'wannabe trainers'..

This girl sounds like she isn't cut out to "train" others,,if she can't handle a class and lay down some basic ground rules, then that could be a disaester in the making..You can't be 'wimpy' when it comes to training a class, especially 'newbie' dogs and owners.

Masi is on her 2nd obed class,,(this after I had a few months of deprogramming NEGATIVE experiences she had in a purely positive puppy class),,this class is the total opposite of her 'puppy' classes.

Much more structured, the trainer is on top of what is going on with everyone, everyone is expected to respect other dogs/people's spaces. She is doing great in it, and is very relaxed and eager to 'work'.

I know you want to help this trainer and/or speak to her but I think I'd honestly ask for a refund if you expected a 'competition' class and find yourself in a 'companion' class. It sounds like the trainer really hasn't got a plan and doesn't know how to structure a class.

Good luck
diane

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

I guess I'm in the minority here. I'd be very tempted to use it for distraction while waiting to see how it changed.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 04:40 PM

no actually your not ) I'd probably like to use it for that very reason to,,,but I think I'd be peeved if I "paid" for a competition class and wasn't getting that,, I'd be happier if I hadn't paid )))

I think also I'd always be "on guard" for one of the newbies not realizing, and just letting big ole aggressive Fido get away from them and do some damage to another dog..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page