First Control Unleashed Class! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

First Control Unleashed Class!

Well, Tanner and I had our first Control Unleashed class for reactive dogs this afternoon and we have lived to tell the tale.
I was so happy to hear the instructor talk about how many of us in the class have been confused by, scared of and embarrassed by the behavior our dogs have shown in the past.
I really like how the class is structured, with each dog/owner pair getting a chance to work with the other dogs put up, so the distractions and reactivity was minimized. And nobody gave me dirty looks when Tanner started to whine and cry in his crate.
I was horrified when Tanner refused to respond to his own name, so a lot of our homework is just having him turn his head in my direction when I call his name. I know he is bonded to me, but you couldn't tell it when we got past the relaxation on the mat exercise.
Have I honestly gotten to the point where I don't even use his name too much? I was thinking about it on the drive home and I probably use that kissey noise to get his attention a lot more often than I use his name.
At one point I wanted to just hand the leash over and tell the instructor to take Tanner and let him live as her dog.
I am really pleased that I decided to contact the instructor and talk about signing up for this class. It is going to be good for me and Tanner both. I ordered the book by Leslie McDevitt and it should be here any day now. And we have our second class next Saturday.
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Crowned Member

Re: First Control Unleashed Class!

OHHH YES YES YES!!! Tanner will do superbply in this sort of class, as will you both! I just know that this is exactly the type of class to help you relax, help Tanner settle and calm and begin to focus. I would bet that you actually start to see a new dog in a few weeks.

I wish so deeply for such a class for Grimm and I, but we are too isolated. Congratulations to you and Tanner. You deserve this for yourselves! Good call of you finding this, too! I am so very happy for you and Tanner!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I have been reading as much as I can about the whole theory behind Control Unleashed. I ordered the book last week and am still waiting for it to get here.
Tanner was pooped when we got home. He crashed in his crate and only came to long enough to eat and go out to potty. It was a different kind of class, that was for sure.
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Crowned Member

I bought the book but haven't finished it yet. For some reason I'm having a hard time getting to it. Keep us updated on the classes, please! It sounds interesting.

Betty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 10:08 PM

That is fantastic! Keep everybody posted!

To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah Sheilah and Tanner!!!

The DVD will be out soon too!

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page