Can anyone recommend a good training book? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend a good training book?

I was very disappointed to find out that Lexi is too young to get into obedience training! We had hoped to get her into a class in February when she will be five months, but unfortunately the class starts in January and she's not old enough! The next available class is not until April. I don't want to wait that long to get her trained. We are already doing basic stuff (sit, stay, etc), but I want her really, really, well trained. I live in a rural area with very limited options, this appears to be the only class in the immediate area. If it wasn't winter time driving a further distance would not be a big deal, but since I live in Michigan it really is a big deal!

So we are thinking we will try training her on our own, is there a good, easy to read, easy to understand book anyone can recommend? She especially needs some good leash training and trained to NOT jump up on people (and bite their faces!)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Beth

Very Proud Mommy to Maddie (human) Lexi (German Shepherd) and Bella (cat)!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Can anyone recommend a good training book?

This is a good book to get started and it teaches you clicker training. After 4 years without a clicker, I am now a big fan of clicker training.

It starts with very basic exercises and also has more complicated behaviors.

101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks.../dp/1592533256

Just reading on the Amazon page it says no clicker required. Anyway, if you are interested in clicker training (it's a good thing), Karen Pryor is the queen of clicker training.

http://www.clickertraining.com/basics
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Crowned Member

I found a lot of info on the web,then you have some videos to coach you.I also watch alot of the dog shows on TV to get guidance. I would work on her on your own till April then enroll her in that class.I too have waited and I didn't realize how Athena reacted to other dogs till last night.We had our first class.After the intitial shock of new people and dogs she was fine but I realized she really needed more socialization than she had gotten thru the summer.I am hoping next week she just walks in and doesn't react but we'll see.As far as the jumping,try turning your back on her when she does it and ignore her till she stops.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Knighted Member

I like this book:

Building Blocks for Performance
by: Bobbie Anderson

and this one is good too

Purely Positive Training
by: Sheila Booth

I like where I go do my training. I have a 9 month old I'm just starting out and I jumped ahead and put him in a level 3 class ( More like an advance class) but I do stand aside and do most of my training alone.

CGC Evaluator/ Free testing for Rescue dogs

Klenien Hain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

U-CD Nomex vom Gebirgshaus SAR,BH,TD-2,VCD2,RAE,CDX,MXJ,AX,VER,NAP,NJP,CGC ( Retired )
Enzo z Blitz vom Kleinen Hain CGC NA,NAJ,OA,OAJ,AX,BN,CD
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Master Member

Look for someone who does puppy classes and basic manners. I have enrolled my 9 wk old pup in it and he is learning already just from going to the first class(orientation) without him. The class (I) will teach him the basics and he will also learn to focus in a new environment.

Heidi-GSD- RIP
Dutchess-GSD RIP
Sadie-Lab-Silly girl
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Master Member

http://www.dogwise.com is full of great books on obedience.

The Power of Positive Training by Pat Miller is great

I also like the Monks of New Skete books.

If you go to Barnes and Nobles and look in the pet section you can browse through a lot of training books that have training scheduled out for you. It is a good way to get started.

In addition, I would try finding a puppy class with basic manners as acurajane suggested! Good luck!

Missing Alex
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Master Member

If the puppy class isn't an option, you might want to take her to as many places as possible for socialization (people and other dogs) while you work on the basics at home. The socialization is every bit as important as the obedience training.

Johanna

Aodhán (GSD)- Mar 2002
Caleb (Quill vom kleinen Teich) - Mar 2009
Rica (GSD)- Nov 1996 - July 2009 RIP
Max (GSDx) - 1983 - 1998 RIP
Kelly (GSD) - 1986 - 1996 RIP
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Crowned Member

I've just signed my four month old for a class in March, so she'll be 6 mo when it begins. In the meantime, we work on obedience at home and are doing a lot of socialization.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Crowned Member

Suzanne Clothier's Flying Dog Press website also has some good training articles. You will need to register to view them (it's free), but it's worth it. They're at http://flyingdogpress.com/

A basic book on training I liked was Gerilyn Bielakiewicz's (I might have misspelled her name) "The Only Dog Training Book You'll Ever Need". It's a positive clicker training book. There's a second one, "The Only Dog Trick Book You'll Ever Need" that has some fun tricks in it and teaches step-by-step how to teach them.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:46 AM

I have just discovered a great book for understanding all other methods and books. It isn't the modern standard , but it is the foundation for german Shepherd training for almost 100 years!
The book is "Training Dogs:a Manual" by Colonel Konrad Most. Recently translated from the original German to English. It gives a historical perspective of how and where the training of German Shepherds come from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page