Training Challenge #3 - Tick-Tock/paw tricks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Training Challenge #3 - Tick-Tock/paw tricks

Okay, again this is one that you need to adapt to the level of your dog. Some dogs have already learned to wave, so I'm adding in a more difficult behavior past that too.

The variations on this are as follows:

shake paw (great for puppies)
high five (also great for puppies)
wave goodbye (easy to go to once the "high five" is solid)
tick-tock (most difficult of these tricks)

OR, if you have a dog that is unable to sit for long (or if you want to try both, feel free!) do one or more of these laying down:

touch paw to nose
hold paw to nose
bring both paws to nose (peekaboo)

The Challenge: To choose one or more of the above "paw" behaviors and teach it so that your dog will do it consistently on cue or command.

Explanation of "tick-tock": Tick-tock is the command I use to get my dog to high step with her front feet. "tick" - the left foot comes up, and "tock" - the right foot comes up. We do it at a stand-still and not moving forward, although if you could move forward with it that would be great too! I am standing at her side (heel position) while we do this. It's a freestyle move.

For those who haven't yet taught the wave, I would recommend that first over the tick-tock. It's a simpler behavior but it also teaches the dog to raise a paw high, and that can help you when you do go to the tick-tock training (say THAT fast three times! *LOL*).

Enjoy, and check in to let us know how you're doing!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Training Challenge #3 - Tick-Tock/paw tricks

We've been working on shake, but I want to try tick-tock. I guess that means get a good, solid shake, then wave, then the hackney prance.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Hackney prance, exactly! *LOL* Or whatever it's called in dressage, where the horses trot in place (been too long away from horses, can't remember the word now).

I've been working - slowly - on teaching Khana to move her back feet on command. I want her to kick her foot up into the air and it's a LOT harder with the back feet than it's been with the front. It's not quite clicking in her mind and I know that's my fault as I can't seem to figure out an easy way to "explain" it to her. When she's laying down, if I touch the pads of her foot softly it tickles and she'll jerk the foot up. After a couple of times, adding in "kick" verbally, she'll move the foot without my touch. But it's not consistent and every time we do it I have to start all over.

Anyhow, she DOES do the tick-tock with the front feet already - I'm just greedy and want her to move her back feet too! *L*

Melanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Ahhh these are good behaviors for my 'foot' dog. Ris LOVES using her feet. Whenever she's unsure of what to do, she will go hit something with a paw. She already knows shake, wave (though not 100%), high five and we've just started training 'tick tock.' Right now, it's still a right paw touch to my right leg and a left paw touch to my left leg. I started training it to add to our freestyle routine. But I haven't done much work with it lately between Training Challenges #1 & #2 as well as the training competition on the other board.

This should be fun!

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Risa's Blog)

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks for the "wave" idea! We've got shake and the high-five down! I think wave will be easy since she sometimes thinks that just sitting and putting her paw up means she should get a treat.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Jamie, you'll love the high stepping when it comes together. It's really impressive to watch.

Khana had some trouble with it because she had learned to bring her paw up and cover her face - and it was a very strongly ingrained behavior. So every time the left paw comes up, she wants to touch her face and I've had a hard time getting her to understand that I just want the paw raised and then put down again. But it will come, if we keep working on it! *L*

aubie - the wave is such a fun trick! And it's easier than it seems, especially if you've already got the high five down.

Have you tried teaching any tricks to your cats? My old guy Raven (now passed on) learned to give me a high five when he was about 17 years old .. *L* .. we never quite got to the wave, but he was consistent about the high five.

Melanie and the gang

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

We worked on tick-tock tonite. She understands that my lifted leg means she needs to touch with a foot but she often forgets which foot to use. And sometimes she is a bit too enthusiastic (I'm glad it's winter and I was wearing pants). Once she seemed to be 'getting it' I started clicking right before she made contact with my leg (which was really tricky!). I don't think it'll take too long for her to get the idea. As long as her handler remembers which leg/paw is which!

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Crowned Member

This morning I spent some time working on 'tick tock' with Risa. I do love her enthusiasm. . . We basically worked on making sure she's using the correct foot (right to right and left to left). I videoed our session too. I do apologize for the crappy lighting (even at 8am my apartment is still dark).

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I'd love to watch the video but my dial-up means it would take an hour or more to download .. *sigh* .. glad she's taking to it, though!

Are you going to switch it so that you can be at her side, too?

Melanie and the gang

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Crowned Member

Aww that's too bad. The video's just shy of 2 minutes long so maybe it wouldn't take quite that long?

Yes, the plan is to eventually have her in heel position doing the behavior. This morning I started off in front of her and then moved at a angle to her and then into heel position. It didn't work out so well, however, as she still wanted to touch my leg instead of just lift her paws. So I put her in a sit/wait at a distance and worked on her just raising her paws in tune with my legs without actually touching me. Once she gets that down a bit better, I'll start moving slowly into heel position again.

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page