Natural Dog Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Natural Dog Training

I have been researching this a little bit, and I am wondering if anyone has experience with a trainer that uses this style of training? Or trained this way?

This site is really interesting:

http://www.tenderfoottraining.com/index.html

Here is their training philosophy:
http://www.tenderfoottraining.com/philosophy.html

Missing Alex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy
Re: Natural Dog Training

I know someone on another site who has used drive-training with her dog. I've used a little bit with Risa.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Risa's Blog)

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

http://www.johnknowsdogs.com/about.htm

Here is another trainer's site using these techniques.
Their Methods:
http://www.johnknowsdogs.com/dog-training-methods.htm

Missing Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

That's awesome! Did you notice any differences in her results compared with other "methods" of training?

Do you think you could follow this type of program without using other motivators? (clicker, food, shock, etc)

Missing Alex
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I basically used it with her reactivity. To give her a release from seeing other dogs, we initiated a session of tuggie. I've also played a lot of tug with her and encouraged her to leap onto me while we engage. But that's about the extent I've done.

Of course, playing tug when seeing other dogs is also counter-conditioning. Changing another dog from being a scary thing to being a positive thing. I've tried a lot of different things for Ris' reactivity and seem to have the most luck just going with the flow and rewarding proper behavior and creating different associations with the scary things.

Most of our training is done with the clicker.

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Master Member

Okay, at the risk of sounding critical of both these training centers, I'd like to say that I question any trainers who criticize other training methods and tout their own as "the way"..I believe in the "full toolbox" way of thinking. Clicker training may not be for everyone, but it IS based on science.Clicker ARE Not gimmicks..they are tools of communication.
And to dismiss trainers who are certified, by an organization that you belong to, seems odd. I have friends who are CPDTs. They have gone through a lot to get their certification. They are dedicated people who continue their education...that is a critical part of being certified by APDT.

I am curious about any method that works, but see nothing on either website that tells me about this, the only good method.

Please correct me if I'm missing the point.

The DOG does not need to be lowered in rank so much as the PEOPLE need to act like people worth listening to "
S. Clothier- Bones Would Rain From The Sky

Cheryl Mom to:
Max 4/21/98
Cassidy 3/28/05
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: twonhshepherdsOkay, at the risk of sounding critical of both these training centers, I'd like to say that I question any trainers who criticize other training methods and tout their own as "the way"..I believe in the "full toolbox" way of thinking. Clicker training may not be for everyone, but it IS based on science.Clicker ARE Not gimmicks..they are tools of communication.
And to dismiss trainers who are certified, by an organization that you belong to, seems odd. I have friends who are CPDTs. They have gone through a lot to get their certification. They are dedicated people who continue their education...that is a critical part of being certified by APDT.

I am curious about any method that works, but see nothing on either website that tells me about this, the only good method.

Please correct me if I'm missing the point.
I am big on the clicker, treats and use other tools. So this thread does not reflect my training style. I am a member of the APDT, and defintely respect CPDTs effort to become certified.
But, I am still interested in this style of training.
I agree that I don't like when they point out things that other trainers do to try to make it seem like they are more legit. But, that is a different thread.

The whole gimmick thing aside, what I am looking for is opinions and discussion of Natural Dog Training, which seems to be no extra training tools, besides you and your dog learning to communicate.

*I don't think that the tenderfoot site focused on discrediting other styles and tools, but seem to be focusing more on promoting their style? Although, the other site is a bit candid in their opinions of training tools, and I think that is not necessary. But it is their website but people will pick up on that and it may be a big plus to some and a definite no-no to others.

Missing Alex
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Another note, the two centers I referenced to are not the only trainers using this method, and I do not mean to focus on them, but the actual training style/method of "Natural" training.

Missing Alex
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Crowned Member

Natural Dog Training Blog

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Awesome! Thank you for the link!

Missing Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page