Any Experience With Leslie McDevitt? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Any Experience With Leslie McDevitt?

Hi all,
It is time to start thinking about moving up to a group class with my Tanner. There is a local trainer who offers a class for reactive dogs. This woman has trained with Leslie McDevitt, and structures the class around those methods.
Does anyone have any experience with Leslie McDevitt, or her methods?
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:09 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Re: Any Experience With Leslie McDevitt?

I would absolutely take that class! I love her Control Unleashed book, (have you read it yet?), and am on Leslie's email list. She is extremely generous with her time and advice on the list.

I've taken Keefer to two CU workshops conducted by Leslie's friend and former assistant Kienan Brown. But I'd really love to find a class, I think it would be great to have more regular opportunities to practice the exercises in a group environment. Some of them you can do on your own, but not all.

If you haven't read the book yet - DO!!!! There are several exercises that have been really great for Keef. He's very barky and distracted in classes, but social and friendly off leash. The CU program is great for dogs that aren't necessarily reactive, but are easily distracted and have trouble focusing, but also for those like Keefer, who is easily aroused and has a low frustration tolerance, but is basically dog friendly.

I'm jealous!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

Onyx and I went thru a Control Unleashed class based on the book by her, and it was very helpful for me and her fear aggression. She is really not dog reactive, but because most of the other dogs in the class were, there was one in particular that zoned in on her and charged her(and others) more than once. He seemed to slip his owners hand at every opportunity. I would get the book ahead of time and read it if this is the type of class you are taking. It was highly recommeded by the trainer to pre-read each weeks goals from the book and then work on them. I had read the book previously and was excited that I found this class offered. Only about 6 dogs were approved to take it and I was able to fanagle us in on the first week. Because of other dogs possibly being reactive, you have to keep an eye on your dogs body language at all times, read what they are doing and prevent/distract any staredowns. We brought our own mat, and worked on massage, relaxation for the first 10 min of each class to put the dogs in a better frame of mind. It was a nice bonding time! What was cool also was the mix of dogs, a rottie, a standard poodle, a borderx(the one who was always charging others, just a high energy happy nut!) another GSD owner who was just there because the owner really likes this trainer, but could have taught the class herself(she has her own training place and is highly regarded) and a lab that was very well trained(another owner who was happy with this training technique).

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

YES YES YES!!! Go for it!! I have read the book SIX times!!! And would kill for a class!

Debbie I had no idea you were on the list, I am too. Plan on posting a Havoc update to it soon! We had a good CU brag in agility yesterday.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Kathy, I posted a few times when I first joined, I had questions about RP. But I haven't posted for a long time, although I do read the daily digests. I've seen a few of your posts. There's tons of good info, I learn so much just by reading other people's experiences, and Leslie's comments.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Wow! Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll just sign us up for this class. I took an obedience for agility class with this woman a few years ago (with my older GSD, Jackson) and have stayed on her e-mail notification list for other class offerings. When I saw the e-mail about the reactive dog class I thought it might be a good idea for Tanner.
Good to hear that the method she uses has had good results and that the person she trained with is highly regarded. I can't wait to get started with the class. I think the book is included in the class fee, but if it isn't I'll get it ordered. There is a 6 dog limit for the class. Maybe that is the protocol for the method?
Tanner has done so well! We still have a ways to go, and he will probably not ever be okay with other dogs invading his space while he is on leash. But I think we are ready for this next step. I would like to try agility with him, but that would be pointless if he gets too worried around other dogs.
I need to find another foster dog so he can have a buddy. He did so well with the Border Collie we had for a few months last summer/fall. It actually brought tears to my eyes to see him playing with a relatively strange dog that first time. I think he exhausts Jackson.
Sheilah
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I would totally sign up. I'm in love with the <u>CU</u> book. It's just chock-full of great info.

Where is this Leslie McDevitt list? Methinks I need to join up.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Murphy-ElperroguapoWhere is this Leslie McDevitt list? Methinks I need to join up.
Yes! I would like to know more about this list as well. And I went ahead and signed us up for the class! I will have to look at the schedule, but I think we start in a week or two.
Sheilah
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 12:02 PM

Sheilah, I sent a PM to Jamie with the link. I can send it to you too, but you wouldn't be able to participate at first - you'd be on read-on status on the list until you've read the book. They want to reduce the number of questions about stuff that's covered in the book so they can focus on people who are familiar with the program.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Sure, send the link and I'll read only until I get the book.
Thanks!
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page