How can I curb the excitement? Long... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

How can I curb the excitement? Long...

Sorry, but the search function and I dont get along well so if I have missed this type of discussion feel free to let me know!

My dog Bella is now 16 months old. As far as I am concerned shes the best dog in the world. An angel. My issue is that I havent figured out how to curb her excitement at greetings. I have learned from this site that when we leave the house and come home we make it a non-event. We dont get all excited when we come in the door or when we leave home. Its just very matter of fact. Now, she used to be a jumper but I have that fixed and she only jumps up now about 1% of the time. To me, I can deal with that. Her excitement level is still really huge.

When just one of us comes home she is very calm. For instance, I get home at lunch to let her out and she wants to loved but she doesnt go nuts. She just follows me around. If dd and I get home in the evening before dh she gets excited but its bearable. Not to the extreme. When the remaining family member gets home, dh, she goes crazy. Now this can be twisted as well. If I get home last shes just as crazy. Dont understand that. Anyhow, She will prance all around within inches of us, run around and do laps, and then just body slam into you. She'll use her paw to try to bring your arm to her and she'll be so close and wiggly that you really can just not put anything down. Its great that our dog loves us so much but its starting to hurt! LOL I am 6 months pregnant now and my sciatica is killing me. When I come in and get body slammed it knocks me off balance and hurts. When it comes to dd she doesnt do this. She does get in her face and try to give tons of kisses but she isnt as forceful. I dont want her to be crazy when the new baby comes and I am trying to get in the door. What do I do?

Her crate is near the front door. Whoever gets home first lets her out of the crate while walking by. We then proceed into the kitchen and put our stuff down and greet the humans first. We try not to make of issue of Bella and say hello to her only when our hands are free. Then we go to take her outside. We always go out with her, after she has done her business than we have our greeting. I'll hold out my arms to her and she'll come running and we then play and interact. By this time she has calmed down a bit and will lay on her side or back and act very submissive.

Let me mention that this behavior, while toned down, happens upon waking and getting out of bed! If I go out to get the paper shes acts as if I have been gone for years. Some days are better than others!

She gets lots of exercise and she certainly gets plenty of attention. Shes a happy and healthy dog.

What are we doing wrong? What can I do to get her to chill? If I havent provided enough info please let me know and I'll fill you in more. Sorry this is so long...Thanks for reading and for any input!

Jen

Bella Sara 7/04/07
Niyol Von Der Sauk a/k/a Tanis 6/1/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

Re: How can I curb the excitement? Long...

Rafi is like this too. I remain very calm and ignore all of the antics. Shortly after I adopted him I taught him to put his ball in his mouth if he got excited. Now when I get home (he's not crated) he runs all over looking for his ball and then when he finds it he wiggles around me in circles with the ball in his mouth. This means he can't mouth me and he also feels like he has something to do to help contain his excitement. I remain calm and just give him a little pat and after about a minute he settles down on his bed with his ball.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

I wouldn't let her out of the crate until you are ready to give her attention I would wait until everyone is home and your hands is free,

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowRafi is like this too. I remain very calm and ignore all of the antics. Shortly after I adopted him I taught him to put his ball in his mouth if he got excited. Now when I get home (he's not crated) he runs all over looking for his ball and then when he finds it he wiggles around me in circles with the ball in his mouth. This means he can't mouth me and he also feels like he has something to do to help contain his excitement. I remain calm and just give him a little pat and after about a minute he settles down on his bed with his ball.
How did you teach him to do that?

Jen

Bella Sara 7/04/07
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Crowned Member

I told him to go get his ball the minute I walked in the door or the minute he started getting over-excited (same thing happens at walk time). He caught on pretty quickly and will get it anytime he gets over-excited now.

If she doesn't know that command then just stick a favorite toy in her mouth every time you get home and praise her for taking it. Then you can put a command on it.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: mkennelsI wouldn't let her out of the crate until you are ready to give her attention I would wait until everyone is home and your hands is free,
Thank you. I have thought about this. Now, say I get home first and let her out to potty do you think I should then put her back in her crate until dh gets home? That would mean maybe an additional 30 minutes or so of crate time.

Jen

Bella Sara 7/04/07
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JenniferH
Quote:
Originally Posted By: mkennelsI wouldn't let her out of the crate until you are ready to give her attention I would wait until everyone is home and your hands is free,
Thank you. I have thought about this. Now, say I get home first and let her out to potty do you think I should then put her back in her crate until dh gets home? That would mean maybe an additional 30 minutes or so of crate time.
I don't think this solves the problem!

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks! That sounds like a great option for us! Her favorite ball is her cuz so I could try that with her...

Jen

Bella Sara 7/04/07
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
Quote:
Originally Posted By: JenniferH
Quote:
I don't think this solves the problem!
I think this would work great for us if we are all entering the house at the same time. This way she could calm down before being let out but I dont think I could re-crate her before dh gets home.

Jen

Bella Sara 7/04/07
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

I would consider Janet's idea to be a great management tool so you are not knocked over or side swiped. I do this with my dogs. I come in put all my stuff down, put my purse away, take a deep breath - quitely say hello and open crates.

Havoc still gets way over excited and wants to jump and mouth. So we did waht Ruth does with Rafi- Havoc grabs his toy. You can use any toy your dog likes and put it in her mouth if you have to. It does work.

Hav was 19 months on Monday and he is ssllooowwwllyy calming down.

Now if I can just get the excitemnt level in agility down it would be perfect!

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page