Growling at children - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Growling at children

My 1 1/2 yr old GSD (Diesel) has growled at my son before, but only when he was in his cage and only did it a couple of times. The other day we had just came back from a walk. Diesel was laying accross my lap and i was petting him, my son walked over and was rubbing him on his head and Diesel was letting him. My son stepped back away and said "Diesel's a good doggy" then Diesel growled at him and acted like he wanted to lunge at him but luckily i still had him on the leash and he couldn't pull away from me. I'm unsure on what to do now. My wife wants me to get rid of him and I think maybe I should. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Growling at children

How old is your son? Not sure but it seems like Diesel thinks of himself as higher in the pack order than your son. It can be corrected with more training, depending on how old your child is.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

my son is 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

I would have Diesel off your lap and start practicing NILIF for a while. I am fostering a boy who after a month has attached himself to me. His true personality is coming out now that he is comfortable here He had no manners or training at all when we got him. Just housebroken and cratetrained. Neutered late Oct. Now, whenever my 16 yr son comes around he barks, growls. I was letting him up on the couch w/ me but no more. He will go into the foot area of the desk and when son comes around he growls. So no more of this either. I am having son give him treats, but son doesn't want to deal w/ this(typical 16 yr) Just trying to let the dog know that We are the leader, protector and not him is my goal til we get him into a forever home.
In your case, the leash may have had something to do w/ his reaction, what type collar was he wearing? Still NILIF should be stepped up, though. It may be just a growing teenage phase(Diesels), and to "get rid of him" would really benefit no one. Unless you see something you, yourself cannot manage. Maybe have your son walk him, feed him and be his caretaker for a while. Where would he go, you'd be passing on a problem without correcting it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Crowned Member

It sounds to me as if your dog is guarding what he believes to be his. His cage, you. Does he do this with toys or food?

He may think his social status is higher than it is. You can work on this by controlling all of his resources and making him earn privileges. You can also let your son do some of his feeding. Your son can tell him to sit and wait while his food bowl is put down. If you are free feeding - (bowl full and available all day) stop now and go to 2 feeding times a day. Bowl is put down and taken away 10 minutes later whether the food is gone or not.

Your son can tell him to sit and wait at the doorway before he gets to go outside.

He is not allowed on furniture until he understands his pkace in your home

He who controls access to resources - the things the dog wants like food, outside, attention, resting places etc, is the guy with the upper hand socially.

If you feel like Deisel is dangerous use a muzzle. If you are that afraid of what he would do and you cannot or will not work with him, re-home him or put him down. Harsh words but if you let this continue and he bites (he may never bite) you may regret it.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

I think that Onyx'Girl and KathyW have given you some great advice, I too have a similiar situation with my 6 month old pup, she hates it ,when my stepsons who are 12 & 13 yrs, hug me. I have stepped up the NILIF as Onyx'Girl suggested and I have been having my step sons feed my pup and do some training with her as well, just like KathyW has suggested. It has helped immensely and done wonders with how my pup looks at my stepkids. It just takes work and time, I think like the others mentioned above, Diesel probably thinks he is higher than your kid, as is/was the case with my pup now. I also have my pup in a bunch of training with some wonderful trainers and the training has helped my pup out alot as well. I think your Diesel can work through this little phase, all you need is too work with Diesel, and have your son get involved and work with Diesel as well. It is a frustrating and scary situation, but if handled right I think it could be resolved, as I have seen in my own household.

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

well sorry to be a noob but what is NILIF?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Rufnekwell sorry to be a noob but what is NILIF?
You are NOT a noob, we are bad about taking for granted everyone know things like this....

Stands for a training method called 'Nothing in life is free', more info on these sites:

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

http://www.mobilespca.org/Uploads/Do...Your%20Dog.pdf

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pe...techniques.html

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.goof.com/~pmurphy/NILIF.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

nevermind, figured it out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Rufnekwell sorry to be a noob but what is NILIF?
Not to be confused with MILF... which is a whole nother forum....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page