At The End of My Leash show - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

At The End of My Leash show

Anyone watch this one? It is a Canadian show and not sure if it is only available in Canada. He does not believe in treat training, believes it to be bribing, only collar he likes is the martingale.

I think he is a little rough with the dogs and will often yell at them The way he yanks them to a sit reminds me of the old choke collar days of training.

He believes in umbilical training (dog attached to your waist) and gets good results with this method. He also believes that you should soft pin your dog daily while training a difficult dog.

I've seen you tube videos when he was in Toronto. His course looked interesting up until the point where he smacked a dog on his nose. He smaked him hard, for what reason I could not see, other than he was frustrated with the owner who challenged him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4rLJ...eature=related

The smacking of the dog's nose is around 3:00 min.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Master Member

Re: At The End of My Leash show

I've watched the show quite a few times. I find it amusing, from an entertainment standpoint, especially when he decides to play relationship psychologist. It's only slightly palatable if you can get past the annoying voice and the unwillingness to consider any training methods or tools other than those he chooses to use. We always joke that he would have a field day in our house with all the leashes, collars, toys and treats and....God forbid...a dog bed in the corner of the family room.

I watched that part of the Youtube clip and I can't figure out why he decided to smack the dog's muzzle. Because it lunged forward a bit...or didn't sit when he stopped? You certainly don't see that stuff on his show... but he does like to make people hug.

Cheryl

Caesar von Nadar (Ronan)

Jaeger, SchH 2, HIT (May 2004-June 2014)
Keeva, CGN, HIT (April 2002-Aug. 2015)
Luther (Aug. 2014-Nov. 2015)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Knighted Member

Only watch him because its usually 2 AM and he's the only thing on.

There are only a couple points that I agree with him on:

-The dog needs one on one attention. He had one woman with a pack of 15 dogs who wouldn't give them up. He tried to get her to rehome some as her house was a toilet (black light proof) and her husband and son were miserable. He eventually had to give up on them since he couldn't make her follow any training guidelines or give up any dogs.

-The dog needs both physical and mental exercise.

-Umbilical training. If the dog manages to get into trouble while tied to you its your own fault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Knighted Member

I agree with Cheryl, find it very amusing, don't think much of him as a trainer!!

OTCH SG1 (CAN) Deejay von Hausnobilis UD HIT CGN
~A Well-Balanced Dog has Titles at Both Ends~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page