Juggling the retrieved object.. help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Juggling the retrieved object.. help!

Well, I've asked this before, and got sympathy but no solutions. I'm kinda at a loss!

Grimm absolutely LOVES carrying stuff while in heel. He thinks he is THE MAN. We both love it, it feels really fun to be working as a team-- even though his vibe right now is playful puppy, still.

BUT-- as he carries stuff, he happily jiggles it about in his mouth! Rarely, he'll drop the object due to this, but it's rare. Still-- I want to teach a calm hold. Should I back up, and teach "Take it" again... but do something differently? Use a calmer voice? Correct verbally "ehh-ehh" if he juggles?

He doesn't do this with every object, just sometimes. He is accustomed to light things, paper, metal (not a fave!), and crinkly bags with objects in them.

Ideas for teaching a calmer hold?

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Juggling the retrieved object.. help!

Patti, do you have an "easy" command for Grimm? When we say "easy" that means Elmo can take what we are giving him, but he has to be very gentle. I'm not sure if it would work while carrying something around though. But, it's worth a shot.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Crowned Member

Look at this thread, it is about SchH retrieves with the dumbell, but there is conversation a calm hold with some good links and videos.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Knighted Member

If he hasn't learned a specific "hold" command, it would be good to teach him that. There's a difference when my dogs are carrying something just because they want to (play time) and carrying something that they've been told to carry (work time).

"Take it" to my dogs means pick it up. "Hold" means hold it calmly in the mouth until I take it from them.

I've also used weighted dumbbells or objects. A heavier object is harder to juggle. And some dumbbells are weighted only on one end (for training purposes). Dogs have a difficult time juggling something that is heavy on one end.

With Tazer, who is still very much in the training stages of retrieving, I've found I've had to bump under her chin with my hand to help her understand hold. I haven't had to do that with all dogs, but she has such a hard time being calm and still that she needs the physical reminder. It's not hard - just a little bump of my hand while I tell her "hold" so that she'll stop playing with the dumbbell.

I taught both Trick and Khana (chow) to retrieve very well using no corrections (no forced retrieve). Khana, today, was picking up my keys from the floor while we were waiting in line at the post office. It was a LONG line, so we were doing some training while waiting. People were very impressed .. *LOL* .. but then it doesn't take much to impress people when it comes to having our dogs do something.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

Sometimes when dogs do stuff like Grimm I think us humans should just smile and accept it.

Of course you could change Grimm's behavior, but is it really important. If Grimm is being trained to be a highly competitive dog, perhaps a change is in order. Otherwise, smile and have fun.

Sounds like a great dog.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Timber, he's needed to carry things for me, that will be his job. Thank you, he is a super dog-- but very enthusiastic/silly at this age.

Catu, did you mean to post a link? I wanna read it!

Bonita, Hmm.. he has a "Slow" command.. maybe that would help? How responsive is Elmo to his "easy" command? Do you switch to a deeper tone of voice, and say it slowly?

Melanie-- Hmm.. a weighted dumbbell... that is not a bad idea. I wonder if that would help break the habit?

Also, Grimm was taught retrieving with zero force, all fun. I absolutely do use corrections when I need to with Grimm, but not when I don't need to. I began with the 2-toy retrieval game ("Bring!"...."Out!"....Goooood Boyyyy!!")when he was 9 weeks old. (really!) Later on after a few months, I had him sit at heel at my side, I held the object in front of him, and softly said "take it." Then we moved right away into "Heel." He LOVES this game!! In fact, this is the only training GAME that he seems to get the idea that it is "work"-- and he gets all happy-proud-important about it. He gets tons of soothing praise as he carries the object walking next to me. BIG DEAL for him-- really proud of himself! We have done this outdoors, too, since indoors was working so well. (I have designed my livingroom and hallway deliberately to accomodate play-training indoors!) We haven't gone anywhere outside, just in the front parkinglot of my apartment building so far.

Guess I should back up and find a way to calm that hold after he "Takes it." Maybe carrying heavier things would help?

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Crowned Member

I would teach him that HOLD means something different than just Take It.

I like the idea of having one side heavier than the other. When I was retraining Neke to hold something I would have her take it and then (gently at first) try to pull it from her. This made her bite down and grasp the object more firmly.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Crowned Member

Patti - here is the link I think Catu was talking about:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post922172
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Crowned Member

got the same exact problem, I'll have to book mark this,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangPatti - here is the link I think Catu was talking about:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post922172
It is!! Sorry I missed the link...

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page