Bark on Command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Bark on Command

Aloha, All. Looking at the No-Bark Collars thread, I have a question about the answer of "Bark On Command" and did not want to hijack the thread.

Am I doing this right?..... When Rasa Barks I say bark, good girl, bark, then after a few more seconds of barking I say OK, Quiet and then good girl, because she stops barking. (at least until more fireworks go off). Is this the right method? Rasa looks at me (assuming for my approval) when she starts barking.
I do not want to give Rasa the message that barking is NOT Good.
And I want to get her to Bark on Command if the need ever arises.

frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Re: Bark on Command

bumping this up, so maybe someone can take a stab at it. Happy New Year Everyone
frank
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Knighted Member

Sorry no one answered-will take a stab at it.Seems as though you are doing well as a start-Best is she will stop on command.To teach to start on command you might want to use a good treat hold over head when nshe is in sit and (sounds silly)but bark yourself and see if she takes the cue.Don't give treat at first bark try to get a series of barks with command to no-bark and then treat when she stops.
Just a story to go with advice-my rescue Jake would NEVER bark when I adopted him-if upset or alerting at something he would pace -maybe low whine and have big time ears up.Went on week vacation with co-worker who "taught him"to bark.NEVER underestimate a smart GSD to take learning to the next level.Since he learned to bark he has expanded his vocalizations a hundred times-sometimes WAY too much. He stops on command but now thinks he can 'TALK' as much as I do!!
Just as an aside if you want him to bark as a warning-an alert SILENT staring GSD is a great deterrent.There is kinda folk-lore thing that a barking dog won't bite and when Jakers quietly watches intently it is very effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Aloha, well Rasa is almost there with the bark/no bark, but I think she might be a bit confused. I just want to be sure I am not confusing her. After a 4 treat training she stopped barking at fireworks and when she forgets and a big aerial firework goes off she turns to me with the "now what u want me to do?" Same with cats, not just fireworks. I feel she would let Jack the Ripper in, but never a cat! But she is glue/shadowing me ALL the time.

Frank
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Knighted Member

seems like you have a great start with rasa.Maybe others will disagree but i kinda let jake give out a bark or so when something different occurs such as fireworks.He always alert barks when someone fires a gun when hunting ducks near my house.Also will bark if car stops in front of house (rare occurence for most part)Maybe I shouldn't praise but he seems really proud to notice and alert me.If he is being a jerk like barking at a neighbor walking dog I always give him a arrgh-phooey and he seems to have learned (not 100%)about things I might want to have him keep an eye on.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Aloha, there is a behavior stance that Rasa takes that would be really terrifying to a would-be attacker. If out alone in a threatened state I would like to call on that stance. It occurs when I tease Rasa with throwing the ball and I actually do not. She gets very wound-up with a stance/bark/eye focus that is very scary. Could I name that stance "guard" for example and would she eventually respond to it, or would Rasa always associate the stance/bark "guard command" with not getting the ball thrown?
thanks

Frank
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Knighted Member

Personally, I would stick with just the barking on command. You don't want to train your pup to be frustrated and annoyed. That could lead to some unwanted behavior down the road. The presence of a German Shepherd and their loud bark is scary in itself.

When I taught Elmo to bark on command, I found something that made him bark and used that to help with training. I opened the blinds and he would bark when someone drove by the house or walked by. I sat there with a bunch of treats and gave him a treat every time he barked. Then, I associated a word to the command. He picked it up very quickly.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: bsinghVA
When I taught Elmo to bark on command, I found something that made him bark and used that to help with training. I opened the blinds and he would bark when someone drove by the house or walked by. I sat there with a bunch of treats and gave him a treat every time he barked. Then, I associated a word to the command. He picked it up very quickly.
Aloha, Bonita, so my question is does he know just to bark anytime when you command, or does Elmo have to still associate the barking with open blinds and people walking by?
thanks
Frank
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Knighted Member

Hi Frank.

It was very easy to go from barking at cars/people to barking on command. I just needed to find something to make Elmo bark so I could associate a word to the action. I foolishly spent two days barking at him in the hopes he would bark back. When that didn't work, I sat by the window with him. It only took 10 minutes for him to learn to bark on command.

I waited until he really understand the command before I taught him 'quiet'. We sat by the window again and he got a treat when he was quiet as people walked by. Then, I associated the word quiet to that.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Knighted Member

ADAS-maybe in opposition to others I would work toward having a relationship with your dog that allows you to indicate a -watch mentality.It is my non-trainer belief that this is something that is inherent in our GSD .But I truly believe it is something that is not something you can train but something that will occur (with your attention and encouragement)over time and please understand it is NOT an overnight or over week or even over month thing.It took me 3 yrs with a rescue but was so great to see when the watch when it happened/and I NEVER command it.Any one is welcome in my house /people and/or dogs acting out of normal are suspiscious and watched.Don't push to train let his intelligence and genetics take over.Do NOT let him decide too much as a novice/beginner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page