No Bark Collars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

No Bark Collars

I am just looking for people who have had experience with these collars to see if they work or they are just a sham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

Re: No Bark Collars

Tried the citronella collar - didn't slow mine down a whit. Much better to teach to bark on command, to keep your dog inside when you are away from home & to call them in when they are barking and you are home.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Master Member

I use the tritronics collars and have had great success. My dogs were barking when I wasn't home and I was getting neighbor complaints. The problem was solve in two days. I like the tritronic collars because you can adjust the level and it tells you how many time it corrected.

Dawn S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY S%*T what a ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 07:12 PM

my fired tried her dog andy on a citronella bark collar but he liked the smell so much he barked more to get the spray, until he emptied the reservoir completely, so I'd have to say it was counter-productive.

khawk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

I would say what you use (and if you use anything) really depends on why and when your dog is barking. If your dog barks while you are home - at people, etc. - then I would keep away from training collars all together and just train your dog not to bark by correcting him / bringing him inside / etc.

If you have a dog that barks only when you're nowhere near home (mine likes to hear herself talk when she is crated - found out about that when the neighbors called the landlord!) then you may want to consider a no bark collar. In my experience, the citronella ones are a waste of money.

Dogs learn to either turn them (or their heads) so they don't get sprayed, or simply bark through them or get used to them.

The electronic collars work (we use a TriTronics Bark Limiter XS) but your dog needs to first understand that bark = correction. If there are situations in which you want your dog to bark, you need to really make sure your dog understands when it's okay (when the collar is not on) and when it isn't (when the collar is on) so you don't send out confusing messages.

I would also add that I have tried one of the cheaper no-bark collars, the PetSafe brand they sell at Petsmart, and that was a complete waste of money. First unit didn't work. Company sent a test light and replacement unit (for free) and that didn't work, either. They would have had me shave Abby's fur on the neck for it to work, even with the long prongs on the device. I decided to send it back and buy a quality one instead.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:09 PM

My dogs wear Dogtra collars and I swear by them. I had poor success with the cheaper collars as they tend to go off by any motion and the dogs would get zapped for bouncing. I would stick to Tritronics or Dogtra.

Tina

Tina & the K9 Krew
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

JakeN, what is your exact situation and why do you think you need the collar?

I've had lazy friends who wanted to use their yards to exercise their dogs when they weren't home. Only to find out that their bored dogs left in the yard for 8 hours learned that it was great fun to bark at everything and anything that they thought needed to be barked at. For pretty much the entire day.

So when the furious neighbors complained they got the collars. Put them on the dogs, and left them in the yard just the same. And the collars were a disaster. One dog became fear agressive and started acting abnormal. The other dog became even worse with the barking and behavioral issues when the collar wasn't on.

On the other hand, I only let my dogs out when I am home. And if they bark, I tell them to stop and bring them inside. So my dogs do not bark and annoy the neighbors. I saved a heck of alot of money by not purchasing the collars. And all my dogs still have the great personalities they started with.

So you can see the circumstances, when/why your dogs are barking may be important to know before anyone can really recommend the collars or not.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

I have been trying to correct my dog territorial barking behavior. I am just simply looking for options. I don't think I will be using any of these but as my question stated I am just looking to see if this is an actual option. My dog bark at anything and everything. I was just trying to see if he can lessen his barking a little bit. It is also hard because my side yard leads to a big street so there is a lot of foot traffic, especially when kids are coming home from school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page