encouragement while walking on leash.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

encouragement while walking on leash..

Rajko has been very good about walking on a leash, pretty much since day 1. However sometimes when we first begin our walk, all of the sudden he'll stop dead in his tracks and sit down and/or look at me. I know he is not tired yet because he is still full of energy when we get going again.

Anyway, in order to get him walking with me again, if I give him a gentle tug, not exactly dragging him but maybe pulling against his will for a couple of seconds, to a point where his paws slide forward and inch or two, he'll break right into stride and walk with me happily and not stop again for a long time. Still, I wonder if this is going to imprint something negative on his mind? I am trying to keep everything I do positive, so I want to make sure this action is not harmful or too negative.

btw Rajko is 11 weeks old.

Aaron (me)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
("Rye-Koh")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Crowned Member

Re: encouragement while walking on leash..

Don't know if it's right or wrong but I have done the same thing to all of my pups that have needed it and none of them have had any negative effects. Especially if you are encourageing him with your voice too and telling him how wonderfull he is when he starts walking again. There is a difference between gently encourageing them with the leash and dragging by the leash with them kicking and screaming. THAT would have a negative effect on them.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Helly

Jackson does that very thing...just stop...I just give his leash a gentle tug and it works most times...but to be honest, I have been known to carry him when I thought he was tired...and we only go a few houses down and back...but when I have him leashed inside the house he walks just fine...I guess he likes the carpet better

Jackson~~2/18/2008 - 1/28/2010
forever in my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:11 AM

My pup did this a few times when shewas around the same age. She's 4 mo now and wimpers if we stop!

Instead of pulling leash [which usually makes them pull away] go crazy with your excited voice saying 'let's go' and pat your leg.
Excitement! Excitement! Excitement!
Use treats a lure if that doesn't work and praise for the walking you want.

If it comes down to using the leash, make the tugs quick and sharp, so the pup cannot hold steady force away from you.
I wouldn't probably drag any distance, but i doubt you're doing any psychological harm the little thing.

Just make it walk with you!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Master Member

My puppy does this sometimes also. If I give the leash a tug she may or may not get up. I try not to let her tug on the leash because then she will get in the backing up and pulling on the leash at the same time routine. If she doesn't get up with encouragement I give her a little nudge from her bottom and she usually gets the idea and gets moving.

Qadira vom Haus Tyson 01/29/08
Call name: Juli
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:Instead of pulling leash [which usually makes them pull away] go crazy with your excited voice saying 'let's go' and pat your leg.
Excitement! Excitement! Excitement!
Use treats a lure if that doesn't work and praise for the walking you want.
You got it!!! You know that owning a puppy requires you to let go of inhibitions and go back to acting like a nutty kid...making silly noises and acting like a ninny, right?!!

Jaime, Mom to:
Brutus-Sable GSD
Caesar-Sable GSD

Adoption Coordinator
Echo Dogs White Shepherd Rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer for GSR-SP
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Crowned Member

My experience is that any tugging will just get them to pull harder away (it's the opposition reflex--same reason why pushing on a pup's butt won't make him sit, but luring up and back will.)

If a pup refuses to move, drop the leash and walk ahead (as if you are going to leave the pup sitting there alone.) He'll come running "Hey! Wait for me!" I've never seen it fail. When he catches up, praise and keep walking.

Obviously, use common sense with this. Don't get more than a step or two ahead of the pup before you look back and make sure he's running toward you. And don't try this experiment where there is any danger (busy street, for example).

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

Luca says, "Arf!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page