Car Chasing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Car Chasing

So Chevy (almost 4 months) is walking pretty well on the leash. We walk once or twice per day around the neighborhood. The only thing that drives me crazy is his thing about chasing cars. As soon as he hears a car his ears perk up and when the car drives past us, he lunges at it and tries to chase it! I have a martingale collar so I give a little tug when he's trying to "get" the car but it's like his only focus is on that car (and ripping my arm out of socket in the process! ). He does this with people on bikes too so I'm thinking it's something to do with moving wheels in general (pays no mind to parked cars). Any tips would be so appreciated!

GSD's Chevy, Shya, & Leilah
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Bear Bear (Chow) and sweet lil Kenji (GSD)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Elite Member

Re: Car Chasing

do you have a bike at home? or have a neighbor or friend with a bike? Just having one in the driveway and walking around it with Chevy on a leash to desensitize him to the bike. (Leashed) walk him around in circles until he no longer lunges and just follows you around it. Correct him everytime he pulls for the bike. Then once he's comfortable with it not moving, ask someone to ride along with you on your walk. Start very slow and use short periods of this lesson. The key is to show him the bike (wheels) not moving first, so it doesnt have as much appeal for him to chase down and "get".

This is how i solved the problem of Mya being afriad of our motorcycles. We work on them in the driveway alot and the noise is what seems to get to her. Even in the car, or on a walk if i motocycle passed us, she panicked. Now she'll lay right on the ground next to it while im working. It took a little bit of time, but she got used to it.

good luck!

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM

This is very high prey drive. You must get this under control NOW before he get to much bigger. I would use a Gentle Leader or Halti head collar to start with. Find human food like cooked chicken, hot dogs, cheese or something that really captures his attention. Teach attention skills like "watch me" or "look" in the house then the yard before you see any moving cars. Work at a distance from the moving car while he can just see it and he will just look at the car then command "Watch Me" using the food for attention. The goal is to have him look at YOU when he sees the car or bike. It takes time and you can't rush it but I will work. Lots of verbal praise too when he watches you and the food.

The techniques are the same for dogs that bark & lunge at other dogs while on leash.

One of the best books for this is:
FEISTY FIDO: HELP FOR THE LEASH AGGRESSIVE DOG

http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB766

Working with a trainer will be the best. Hard to teach dog training and problem solving in this mode.

Hope this helps,

Training isn't expensive.... IT'S PRICELESS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the replies. We do start obiendence classes this week. I walked him today and had him sit whenever a car drove past and he did pretty well. But while hanging out in the front yard, I had a hold of his leash while he was laying on the grass and as soon as a car passed he jumped up and lunged. So frustrating! I will try the tip and advise offered here as well as talk with the trainer this week and see what they have to say. Thanks!

GSD's Chevy, Shya, & Leilah
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Bear Bear (Chow) and sweet lil Kenji (GSD)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page