Crate training question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Crate training question

How old would the puppy/dog have to be before they can be crated for 9-10 hours a day?

Due to work schedules it will be difficult to let them out during the day. We will have someone to help during part of the summer but thats it.

I also feel it may not be fair to the pup/dog to be crated that long during the day then at night.

Please let me know any advice or your thoughts on the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 02:50 AM

Re: Crate training question

I am by no means an expert, and have no experience at all yet, but I would say probably never.

Aaron (me)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
("Rye-Koh")

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Master Member

I hate to say this, but if I had to keep my dog crated all day for 9-10 hours, then again all night, I would not get a dog. It's just not fair to him/her. If all they get is a couple hours in the evening and maybe a short time out in the morning, to get all their exercise, freedom, meals, playtime, etc, I just don't see the point in getting one. I don't want to sound harsh, but that would just be a miserable existence for a dog IMHO. I'd wait til you have more time/better schedule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Banned

6 months or so. There are pens you can get that can go in a spare room or basement. By that age he should be able to spend the nights in your bedroom with you.

Is it your goal to crate while away then allow the run of the house when home?

It`s going to take dedication and commitment to make sure he gets the time commitment and exercise he needs, but it can be done. 10 hours consistantly is a bit much.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Crowned Member

I think that people need to realize that what one's person's schedule is, is generally because of things like work.

It will depend on the dog if they can be crated during the day or 9 - 10 hours. Some dogs have great control of their bladder and you need to make sure you feed, water and potty in the AM before you go to work. But going that long may take until they are a year old.

The total amount of crating time depends on what you do with your dog from the time you get home until bed time. You need to spend lots of that time playing and training.

I had a pup when I worked 10 hours a day and was gone 12 hours a day. I had someone come and let him out during the day. But from the time I got home until bed time it was puppy play and training time.

So just because your schedule is different than some people doesn't mean you shouldn't have a pup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Knighted Member

Kodeegirl... I have to strongly disagree with you. I have two dogs, both of them I got as puppies. My male is 2 yrs old now and my puppy is 14 weeks.
Both of them were/are crated as puppies for 9 hours per day, unfortunately both my DH and I have to work for living, all day, 40 hours a week. Crating the dogs is safer for them, they are not loose in the house, chewing on furniture and electric cords, getting themselves in trouble and possible harming themselves. The older they get, the more freedom they earn outside of the crate, when they prove that they can be loose in the house without getting in trouble. My male is at that point right now, I choose to still crate him every now and then because I want the transition to be gradual. He can be loose in the house all day without causing any trouble. HE would still go in his crate to sleep, he loves it.
I don't see any problem crating a dog for 9-10 hours a day and at night. Again it is for THEIR safety. And ours too. OF COURSE you have to provide the dog enough exercise and mental stimulation inbetween. And again, the older they get, the more freedom they get. So at the end, when the dog is 2-3 years old (some dogs earlier, some dogs maybe later, some dogs maybe never), they will be loose in the house.
I would say, 5-6 mths is the time to leave the puppy crated for the whole day. Mine is 14 weeks right now and she can hold it all night from 10.30pm to 6am. I would not trust her being able to hold it all day though, because she eats at 6am and drinks water, my DH leaves the house at 8am and it is too soon after eating and drinking.. my neighbour comes to let her out around noontime, so it works out well.
Good luck with your puppy!!!

Päivi
Mom of
Cody 3 yrs, CGC, CDX, BH, TDI, TT, TD -HOT
VP Myth Vom Triton (Brandie) 2 yrs, CGC, BH, TT -HOT
Iida -American Shorthair Cat 5 yrs,
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:15 AM

When we had our GSD he was only 6weeks old and got him one of them big cage. Today he's 6months old and outgrown the cage but he likes it in there. We never put him in as a pup or to this day. The cage door always stays open and he goes in if he wants. It's like his little peace place. This cage is in the kitchen far corner. Yes we started him in there but man did he cry, whine, yelled and no way would you sleep. I would put him in and go to work and my husband would come back 4hours later from work take him out. But that lasted one week. There were always someone in the house so our dog was always taken out for his toilet training we were lucky for that. My husband refused to put our dog in the cage he always said it was cruel. In a way he was right. But its not everyone that can stay home or have someone there 24hrs a day. Instead of the crate cant you block off a corner of the house just for your dog so he can walk freely? Thats my opinion I think its better blocking of a section of a room instead of locking them up.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

I didn't think the forum would be torn on this. I did forget to add something (thanks superpup for the reminder) I will allow them to roam free once they prove they are good.

I think I have made a decision that if I can't find someone to let her out everyday when I am at work, I will have to pass on getting a dog.

I do live next to a park so getting the pup/dog excercise would be quite easy. There are also plenty of places to take them on walks and different routes to keep their mind going!

Thanks for all the input so far and more thoughts & comments are welcome.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Banned

Consider an older dog 6 months to 18 months and by pass all the chewing and potty training.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 02:10 PM

good idea kutzro...6months is still a good pup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page