I preach for FOOD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

I preach for FOOD

I make a living as a minister. How can i make an 81/2 week pup earn her food? When she sees the bag of food or her bowl, she charges to it without any hesitation. I hold her and to try to get her to calm down, but she is all about what is in the bowl or bag which is kept in a cabinet.

Harley

Every day above ground is a good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Elite Member

Re: I preach for FOOD

does she do anything now to earn her food? At 8.5 weeks this is a little difficult because even if they know a sit command to "work" for their food, it wont be a long sit, more of a "ok i sat now i get to eat!" Try preparing her food while she isnt in the room. Then when you call her in to feed her, ask her to sit, then put the dish down. If she breaks her sit before the dish hits the floor, pick it back up and tell her "sit and WAIT". Then (once shes sitting) try again to place the dish to the floor. Repeat picking it back up and making her sit and wait again and again until you can place the dish on the floor and then say "OK" good girl!

Bear was the same way. He wouldn't even let me get the dish off the counter before he tried to climb up my leg and paw at the dish to get to it. He even knocked it out of my hand numerous times. This made me really frustrated because now i had a bagillion pieces of kibble all over the floor, under the stove and fridge, etc. So i started to make him sit and wait until the dish was securly on the floor, followed by a release command "OK" good boy! He picked it up in a matter of a few days. The first few times may take you a while to get, but as a minister, you know patience is a virtue! LOL Good Luck with your pup!

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Elite Member

I agree with Tibvixie101... I taught Tessa down and she would have to down and stay before I would put her bowl down. She caught on very quickly and would come barrelling over and down by herself.

Even today, she has to be in a down and released before she can have her meal!

Holly~
Tessa vom Sonnenaufgang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Ailyn - I dont know about you but it will take me a life time to have patience. My wife, kids, and GSD help provide the patience i need. HaHa. Thanks for your help

Harley

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Knighted Member

This is a great time to start some attention training and since your girl is SO motivated by food, I would recommend just using her food for the training. This means that for now she won't be getting her food from a bowl on the floor - every bit of food she gets will be given by you (or one of your family members, since they may all get into the training) and your pup will soon realize that in order to get the food, she needs to respond in some way.

There are tips for attention training on my website at http://www.kippsdogs.com/tips.html . She's not too young to start this. I start all of my dogs on attention as soon as they come to me, and they just thrive on it. Just take it slowly at first and reward her for even a little glance at you initially. When you hold the food in your hands and she tries to get at it, you just keep your hands closed, smile and think to yourself "well, that won't get you what you want" and let her figure it out. She'll only get what SHE wants (the food) when you get what YOU want (a little calm, attentive behavior). The website explains it all.

Be glad you have a food motivated pup! They're much easier to train because YOU control all the food and she'll really have the desire to work for it once she figures it all out. Hand feeding seems kind of awkward at first but it's well worth it (and if you're feeding kibble, give a little handful for each reward - don't try to do one piece of kibble at a time or it will take too long!).

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. This goes right along with the pack leader feeding her along with my scent on the food. I really like that. My wife told me to be thankful that she food driven also. Thanks again.

Harley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page