Bonding to "Brooklyn" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Bonding to "Brooklyn"

My wife is outgoing, charismatic, speaks 1000 words a minute, and uses her hands with the 1000 words a minute person in my family. Me - inward, you have to ask me 10 questions to get one answer type of person.

With that said, our animals just love her. What can i do to insure a good, healthy bond between me and my new pup?

Falling in love with my "Brooklyn" Babe from Gatorland K9

Harley

Every day above ground is a good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Bonding to "Brooklyn"

All puppies are attracted to high-pitched voices and animated movements. But my guess is your personality will be a good fit with a reserved, aloof, intelligent GSD which she will likely mature to.

The healthiest bond you can build is for your pup to see you as a calm, confident, consistent leader.

You can be the one to feed the pup--the one in charge of the food is the leader.

You can be the one to be in charge of the pup's training. Spend some time every day teaching new things, and rewarding for good behavior. Be consistent with commands. Say things once. Then wait for her to respond. When she does, praise BIG TIME!

(Don't exclude your wife from these things, of course--but one of you will likely take the lead in these things--and that can be you.)

Also, don't ever hit the pup, or punish her with unnecessary force. That's a quick way to hurt the bond you're trying to build. Much better to catch her doing something good and praising her for it.

Belly scratches help too.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Elite Member

Just one thing to add to Tracy's post: When making her food, use your hands to mix it all up instead of a utensil. This will put your scent on her food, which she will then associate you getting fed. It shows Brooklyn that you control the eating times, so she will be more adapt to seeing you as a leader.

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Master Member

My husband is like you and I am the talker. The dogs follow me everywhere but when the chips are down they both want him. My dogs adore my husband but in the same quiet way he loves them.

All walks, food, treats and training come from me so it is natural they are alwys with me. I feel more like their maid and he is their love.

Michelle
Ava (6 yr old boxer)
Mia (4 yr old Brussels Griffon)
Quincy (GSD 10/03/07)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

That is a great idea. I also add water to her food. What do you think about that?

Harley

Every day above ground is a good day!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Crowned Member

I always add some warm water to my dogs food. I like it to still have crunch to it but at least to swell a tad. Several of my dogs are inhalers, (my rescue's are all this way- Vita I have had since a pup and she is not) but I have always done this per advice of the breeder and my vet. I also a tablespoon of canned food- I use either Canidae, Wellness, and as of recent, the 95 beef and chicken (another rescue member told me about this) and even my most finicky eater will eat this up every time.

Home Visit Coordinator
Big Dogs, Big Hearts Rescue

Rambelons Schariar the Titan 12/24/96-6/7/07
BonAirs La Dolce Vita 06/21/05
Gaige 5/23/06
Chance 1997-8/23/08
Sage 12/01/05
Drake CGC 11/30/07
Ava 1/28/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page