Barking & Growling - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Barking & Growling

My GS will be 6months in a week. I started him at a very young age to train him for obiences. To this day he is very good and does what you say 90% of the time (still a pup)... I usually go powerwalking with him and he just trots along. For the pass few weeks I notice he was like not listening anymore so I went out for my 4k walk but to train him again so he doesnt forget. He's a good puppy. Sits, stays, heels, etc etc etc... And yes, one problem with him he barks and growls at people or dogs or cats whatever he hears or sees. It's not a on going bark either. More of a protective bark and growling. It is really getting out of control now. And believe me we did (and still doing) everything we can to make him stop. But seems to go in one ear comes out the other. Hopefully its a phase but we all know dogs. Give them an inch they take a foot. He looks out the window he will bark at people walking by with or without dogs. We stand up beside him to remove him and hush him, say firmly NO, change his mind, or put your hand as a claw gesture and tap on the side of his cheeks...anyhow whatever we do or say, he just doesnt care. We will tell him NO he moves away from the window goes to his bed and starts to growl instead of barking cause we just told him NO Barking. We always use the word barking so he knows the difference between what the NO will be for. When I walk him he wont bark or growl at everyone just whom he feels like. If the person or if there are more than one like a bunch of kids playing outside they make noise they will bark or growl. Eats his bone, plays with a toy, hears the birds outside (less now) he will growl. When i went out yesterday for his walk he came face to face with a family with little 3 kids age from 3-7. It was the first time he was close and come to think of it he meets children. We got him late Nov. so now that its spring he walks more and sees more. We go to the park very often and loves it and plays all the time...good friendly pup..

Anyhow, people will say he's protecting his land or us. Well I dont think so. I think its developing into a bad habit. I was thinking of a e-collar or training collar only when I take him out for a walk or when we are in the house so when he goes to the window we would be there to see what he does and then we can tell him again NO BARKING. Eventually he will get the message. Soon he will be going outside for the first time in the backyard. I can imagine him barking at the kids in the other yards etc, etc.

If any of you guys tried something else than a collar by all means let me know. And yes I tried changing his mind like telling him to sit, or down or whatever even treats. NOPE still doesnt care. You know what he reminds me of? like when you punish a child and the child turns around mumbling while he's walking away. My GS does that. Barks, you say NO and he growls while walking aways. I know sounds funny but after a while hes not.

thanks for your inputs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 09:44 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Barking & Growling

Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but there are 2 issues going on here.

First is you have a baby that you are asking a ton out of as far as obedience. I don't even START 'real' obedience until around 6 months old. Not that we don't 'play' obedience. It's all just a big game with the 'sit', 'stay', 'come' etc. With tons of treats and toys and fun fun fun. So my dogs just LOVE all these 'games' and think it fabulous! So exciting for my dogs to train, I don't 'make' them do anything they do it fun and fast cause it's such a blast for them.

What I DO do with my dogs the first 6 months is what I see as your second problem. SOCIALIZATION!!!!!! That's my main goal and aim in life. To raise happy confident pups that, as adults, are confident in ANY situation. I think you have hit the nail on the head, your puppy isn't protecting you (they aren't old enough for 'real' judgement decisions in protection) he's terrified!

I've had friends with similiar problems because they wanted to train their puppies BEFORE bringing them out in public. Didn't want to be embarrassed by a dog that wasn't behaving. So they did all this 'training' while unintentionally also isolating the pup from the VITAL socialization they need the first year. Our pups go thru stages the first year in particular that, when we miss them, we can NOT get them back to do as well as we could have. Not saying we can't fix some of it, but not as well as if it's started from the day the puppy is born (really, it even matters how wonderful the bitch is to how wonderful the pups are!!!).

I believe your puppy is afraid, and if they bark/growl it keeps the scary stuff back and away so they can feel more comfortable. So it's all from fear, though it looks like something else.

What I do with puppies is socialize the heck out of them so they realize the world is a wonderful happy place with many glorious things in it, and they can look TO ME for guidance and leadership as we wander through it. So my pups know I will deal with scary thing so they don't have to panic and overreact by having to bark/growl to keep it away. Either it's not scary at all (look at mom, I'm happy). Or it may be something to be careful about but mom will take care of it (look at mom, she's in front of me and blocking away the scary thing).

I love puppy classes before 6 months because they show a better balance on the low levels of training we should expect out of such a young puppy AND have a huge level of play and socialization in a safe environment for the pup. So that when I DO start up 'real' obedience at 6 months it's with a confident happy puppy who is able to focus and listen to me in a room full of other dogs and handlers cause it's just another day out with me!

Here's some sites that talk about socialization, fear stages, and expectations we should have for our puppies:

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/Dev...talStages.html

http://www.doberman.org/articles/puppy.htm

http://www.vonfalconer.com/puppy.html

http://www.vanerp.net/ilse/GSDINFO/u...dyourpuppy.htm

http://home.flash.net/~astroman/primer1.html

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/willis2.htm

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

MRL~thank you for those links, I am giving these to my breeder to see if she will put them in her puppy information packs, such a vast amount of information, and I feel those links would be helpful to new owners. She has a litter that is four days old,and I am going tomorrow to get a glimpse(maybe snap a few pic's if mom will let me)!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:03 AM

onyx'girl, glad you are enjoying the links, there is so much info to absorb it's amazing any of these pups get raised well at all

I'm always reading, learning, going to clinics and seminars, finding instructors I like and finding those that I do not. The more I know, the more I know I do NOT know! But also the better I can do with the knowledge I have (was that confusing )

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

You are 99% right MRL...my dog does socialize cause if there is one thing i believe in even with humans its to socialize and not be a savage..lol...he's been around dogs, cats humans since he's born...so i know there isnt any problem there...and yes he's only 6months old and trust me i dont care or wont feel dumb infront of people if my dog does something wrong...cause i know he's only a pup...just that i find it scares people and i see them cross to the otherside of the street not to walk near my dog...or some will get off the sidewalk and say "you have a beautiful dog" and smile and yet they got off the sidewalk far enough to say that...hmmmm he doesnt bark at everyone either...just when he feels like it when im walking him...often we go to the dog park and will leave if there is a dog that becomes aggresive so he doesnt take bad habits...there is one dog that doesnt stop barking...one of them hunting dogs...even the owner cant shut him up...im just wondering if my dog isnt picking up an another bad habit with that hunting dog...I even have to tell the owners dog to be quiet among other owners cause we cant take it...lol...

My pup doesnt look afraid cause usually he's the first one to go up to the issue to check it out...ex: he's the youngest at this park we go which most of all dogs there are really good dogs and friendly and playful...if one comes along and gets aggressive ours for no reason and bites him, he will run with some kind of whining and barking but like growls at the other dog wanting to get him back and once he even jumped on a dog cause that dog bit him..so i grabbed my dog and removed him and left the park...he is too friendly and a happy pup and i refuse for him to become a mean dog...its not my goal either..i dont go that parks much anymore...just once a while so he keeps socializing with the good dogs...if i see certain ones that are mean i dont go in...and yes i know hes like a year younger than all of them..and yes i know it can confuse him at times what to do...so im careful with that too

ok im off to check out your links...seems interesting...thank you for them links...

cheers
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so after supper we decide to bring the dog to the park to see his buddies...I live infront of a nice park. I walk out of the house cross the street to the park and there was this man walking his dog. For no reason our dog turns around, yes he's on a leash starts barking and growling at the other dog and his hair goes up. My husband was the one that was walking him and jerked him and said NO barking, heel. But our dog was like growling under his flappy lips..for a few yards...then we come across another dog on the other side of the corner street and again does the same thing. What i found weird is that when he's in the park with the other dogs he doesnt bark but just play. He runs after all the dogs and just having fun with them. And yet, if he's on a leash or walking on the streets he does the opposite. Going to have to do more research i guess.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:51 AM

GSDog, maybe your dog is trying to protect you while you have him on the leash, maybe...

**ABBY** (GSD)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:13 AM

GSDog, a young dog has no ability for real 'protection'. They haven't the background or experience to make a real informed decision so are as likely to find granny a threat as the rapist coming down the walkway.

It's not uncommon for our dogs to react when on leash, and act differently when free. A good article on this is http://www.flyingdogpress.com/onldagg.html it's sounds like exactly what you are experiencing.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

I rather find granny than the rapist.

I went on your webpage but not sure what article your talking about. They are talking about a barn that caught on fire..ok im going back to check the whole thing out...

oh one more thing...a friend of mine lend me her barking collar...that was a joke...we went outside with the dog, yes he started to bark and all...even the collar didnt work..you would hear the collar buzz but this dog is sooo husk with full of flappy skin and fur on this chess it didnt even do anything to him...lol...so no put putting that...lol...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

opppsss chest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page