Yet another Emma problem~HELP!~ - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yet another Emma problem~HELP!~

As of last week, I've noticed that when it rains outside Emma does not want to go do her potty business outside and just last night she went potty # 2 on my floors (I was not happy)...How do I help her get over this? I took her to her mess and told her no, and she was being bad...But how do I get it through her head without being mean to her? Thanks!!!

~Jennifer
Mom to Elle and Emma!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Master Member

Re: Yet another Emma problem~HELP!~

Maybe take an umbrella and go out with her? She might be more willing to head outside in the rain if you are going that way too. Just a thought.

Mom to 4 girls
Marley - 1 yr GSD
Sampson - Chesapeake Bay Retriever 11 yrs
Precious - Witch kitty 10 years
Nike- 1yr Pound Puppy
Tinkerbell- 9 mo kitty
Lucy - 6 mo GSD - At the bridge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks....That would work, but she doesn't have a problem with the rain coming down, it's after the rain has fallen and the grass is wet...she doesn't like for her feet to get wet.

~Jennifer
Mom to Elle and Emma!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Crowned Member

Do you go out in the rain with her? If not then you need to. I would also put pooping on command. When I take Rafi out I tell him to go poop and I stand out there with him until he goes. I give him a command to go and then after he goes I praise him and usually reward him by tossing his toy.

Please don't show her the poop and yell at her. That doesn't help at all. In fact it can be very confusing to a dog and cause them to be afraid of you (as in: why is that crazy person yelling at me?).

Edited to add: I just read your clarification about the wet grass. Same thing though--go out with her. Take her for a walk when the grass is wet, play in the wet grass, give her treats in the wet grass! Make it fun, fun, fun. Pretty soon she'll never even notice.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Master Member

That is funny! Dogs are just like people aren't they? Hopefully, someone with a lot more experience will help you out. There has to be another dog somewhere that doesn't like to get her feet wet either.

Mom to 4 girls
Marley - 1 yr GSD
Sampson - Chesapeake Bay Retriever 11 yrs
Precious - Witch kitty 10 years
Nike- 1yr Pound Puppy
Tinkerbell- 9 mo kitty
Lucy - 6 mo GSD - At the bridge
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Elite Member

I have to agree with everyone when they say get an umbrella (for yourself) and go out with her. Put her on a leash and out you go ... the bottom line is she doesn't have a choice. She has to potty outside.

Ava doesn't like getting her feet wet either. But, after I took her out on a leash and was patient with her she is now fine with it. She will run out and do her business and come right back in.

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Crowned Member

such great suggestions, please be patient and never mean.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

How smart is everyone on this site!!!!>????

I say the same thing as the rest of them! If you get all excited when it rains and go out in the yard............ and you bring her favorite toy and then also PLAY outside with her in the rain......... then she will LOVE the rain!

Heck, my dogs tear thru puddles and blizzards/typhoons don't seem to faze them.... (will say those upright ears do cause alot of headshaking cause they seem to collect the rain ) but because I've made thunder/storms/rain/whatever just as much fun as every other trip into the yard, they charge out like a sunny day!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

Mya is the same way! lol i thought she was the only dog that wouldnt walk in the grass because she didnt like getting her feet wet! i thought it was just a personality flaw she made herself! What seems to help the most is going outside with her. Its annoying especially when its cold and rainy, but better to be cold for a few minutes then having to clean up potty messes in the house! I still have to go out with her if its raining, or if it just rained and everything is wet, otherwise she will stand on the covered porch and just look around and wait for me to open the door to let her in!

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Crowned Member

Unless you can catch them in the ACT of going to the bathroom in the house, punishing them is not only NOT going to help it may make things worse.

Dogs don't generalize. If you take them to a pile of poop and reprimand them they think it's bad to have a pile of poop in the house - not MAKE a pile of poop in the house. And that may cause the dog to become a poop eater - hide the reason for the reprimand.

If they have an accident in the house clean it VERY well and next time keep a closer eye on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page