Crating a puppy... how much is too much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Crating a puppy... how much is too much?

Question for you guys... my wife and i bought a nice sized crate for our perfect little pooch.. normally, we have her in the crate from around 8:30am to around 3pm... she's usually out in the backyard or in the house with us when we are home and awake, and then she sleeps in her bed on our bedroom floor at night...

That being said, we are still having some pee pee problems in the evening... Im wondering how much is too much to have your puppy crated? Should we be crating her at night while we sleep as well?

My wife and I seem to be feeling some guilt about crating her - possibly because this is our first puppy and we arent sure what the "norm" is.

Baroness Raina von puppers "Raina" - the GSD sugar dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Master Member

Re: Crating a puppy... how much is too much?

Are you picking up her water in the evening, or leaving it out?

How old is she?

I have been experimenting with the water limiting in the evenings. I began this because I was tired of getting up twice a night to let the pups out. When I limit their water intake after 8 pm, they will sleep all night, no accidents. Then, last night I took the dogs out late- around 1030- and they were drinking from their outside water bowl. I thought about taking it up, but decided to see how they did overnight. I was up at four to let them out. So, now I know it will be a little while longer before I can try it again.

Good luck! If you really don't want to crate at night, I think that is a good solution.

It also depends on age.

"Dogs are our link to paradise.To sit with a dog
on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back
in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--
it was peace."
Milan Kundera

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

How old?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Elite Member

I crated Ava at night until a few months ago........she will be 2 in June. Now she is allowed free run of our room at night, then we will progress to allowing her free run of the house when we feel she is ready. All she does is sleep anyway, there is no reason to feel bad, the only difference is they are much more excitable in the morning after being crated, she seems calmer now that she gets to stay out nights, she still sleeps in her crate though, with the door open.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ShepsRgr8Are you picking up her water in the evening, or leaving it out?

How old is she?
Quote:
Originally Posted By: kutzro357How old?
She is about 3 months and 1 week old...

I hate the thought of crating her at night and during the day, but I just want to make sure Im doing everything I need to so we dont have pee pee problems as she gets older. As, it just doesnt seem to be getting significantly better...

Altho, I think partially what we have in play is the "excitable" pee pee... and from all Ive read, theres not much, other than preventative walks and understanding (as well as letting puppers mature), else that we can do about that.

We have, however, not been picking up her water bowl... that is, perhaps, the first step in correcting this... Im so used to cats, that I never thought to remove her water bowl. Thank you very much for pointing that out.

Baroness Raina von puppers "Raina" - the GSD sugar dog
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Knighted Member

My puppy is almost the exact same age as yours. She is crated all day from 8am to 5pm with the execption of my neighbour coming out and letting her out once during the day.
After 5pm we go out for a little while, and then she eats and relaxes in her crate for a little while (half an hour), then we play/walk, train or she plays with my other shepherd, or all of the above Around 8-8.30pm she goes back in her crate to rest for a little bit, so I get to do my own stuff and then after 9pm she comes back out and then we go to sleep around 10.30pm and she is crated the whole night.
I don't think your crating schedule is that much, just make sure she gets enough exercise, attention, training etc etc.
And yes take the water away!! I take Brandie's water away at 8pm, this way she can hold it all night from 11pm to 6am.

Päivi
Mom of
Cody 3 yrs, CGC, CDX, BH, TDI, TT, TD -HOT
VP Myth Vom Triton (Brandie) 2 yrs, CGC, BH, TT -HOT
Iida -American Shorthair Cat 5 yrs,
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:42 PM

Chloe is still crated at night, along with during the day when we are working or gone. There is no way I am leaving a 7 month old GSD to roam free, even at night, or in my room. Too much she can get into plus the bathroom issue.

I don't think that is too much. They are still "babies" for quite some time. She seems content with crating and will go into hers on command.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page