Treats for reward during training.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Treats for reward during training..

For an 8wk old puppy, what is the best treat to use for training? (crate training, after going potty outside, fundamental commands, etc).

I see the recipe for the liver treats on this website's main page...but is there any particular store-bought treats that your puppy loved?

Aaron (me)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
("Rye-Koh")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Treats for reward during training..

We use liver treats that we bought at Petsmart and cut them up into quarters (very small size).

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Elite Member

I used to use pet treats from the pet store, but I found with my dog, the really high value treats that she would do ANYTHING for were hot dogs and chicken, cut up in little pieces.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:17 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

My favorite treats are Liver Biscotti: http://www.amazon.com/Liver-Biscotti-Whe...05705485&sr=8-3 Not cheap, but they are small crunchy bites that dogs love, and they don't need refrigeration or leave your hands icky. I use them a lot for nail trims.

Zukes Mini-Naturals: http://www.zukes.com/woof/mini-naturals.html Very tiny soft pieces, perfect for puppy training, and they also don't need refrigeration. You can even pinch them into smaller bits with your fingernail to make them go further.

Natural Balance rolls: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Balanc.../dp/B0002Y1QCU Looks and smells like salami, but it's a nutritionally complete dog food. I've never known a dog who didn't love NB rolls. The only drawback is they do need refrigeration, so I usually toss my treat bag in the fridge when I'm done training, or put them inside a plastic bag that I can take out and refrigerate. You can easily cut up a roll into tiny (1/4") pieces and store them in a ziplock bag or plastic container in the fridge or freezer for later use.

Old Mother Hubbard biscuits: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n...Hubbard&page=1 They have small puppy sized biscuits, which are good to stuff in your pocket to reward pottying outside.

Solid Gold Jerky: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/product_de...&click=124&mf=2 The pieces are too big if you're going to use a lot of treats, but they are easily broken up with your fingers as you go, or chopped up in advance.

Freeze dried liver is good too, but should also be cut up into much smaller pieces. People food treats I sometimes use are cheese and hotdogs, as long as your dog doesn't have any digestive issues. The commercial treats I listed above are all readily available, either in pet stores or online, and are have good healthy ingredients, unlike some of the cheaper products. No matter what you use, you should cut back on your puppy's food if you're going to use a lot of treats in training so he doesn't get too many calories.

If your pup is very food motivated you can use a portion of his daily kibble for training treats. For some dogs, especially in a very distracting environment such as a training class, that might not be motivating enough, but it might still be fine around the house. Cassidy would work for kibble at home, but needed something higher value in class. Keefer was on a special diet for a few months while he was being treated for SIBO and wasn't allowed any treats at all at a time that we were in a training class. Fortunately, he's so into food, all food, any food, that he worked very well for kibble even in class.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

I use plain old kibble......... sounds boring but Havoc loves his NB Duck and Potato and I don't like upsetting his tummy.

I would use his kibble unless you are out in public and he is very distracted and you want something that really "grabs" him and holds his attention.

All my dogs have worked well for kibble even under distraction so that is what I use. I will mix a bit of the NB rolls in it occassionally too.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Crowned Member

I look for healthy meaty treats that don't have a lot of funky chemicals in them (so hot dogs are out). These are the ones I use. They're not the cheapest in the pet food store (and you won't find them at PetSmart. You'll have to buy them online or go to a smaller pet store.). But because I cut them into tiny bits, they last me a long time. And my kids will do almost anything for them -- perfect for training!

Merricks dehydrated lamb lung that can be crushed into tiny bits. http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/...ats_filets.php

Mostly, I train with Canz meat snacks. http://www.canz.com/ They come in all sorts of flavors: venison, venison + chicken, venison + fish, lamb, beef. (They also have lamb liver, but I'm real careful of too much liver of any sort which can give dogs diarrhea. ). Each piece can be cut into about 4 bits that are perfect for training.

Neither of these require refrigeration. Wellness and Plato Smart also have jerky style treats that I've used and these can (and probably should) be cut up small for training.

I also had a pup that would do just about anything for Cheerios. Simple easy cheap Cheerios. If your dog doesn't have grain allergies, this is definitely an option. Gotta love that!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Crowned Member

I use Shelton's free range, all-natural beef franks...but I wait for them to go on sale! 3K9Mom, I hope you're laughing!

The Merricks lamb lung is BY FAR my favorite training treat. I just stick a chunk of lung in my pocket and break it up as needed!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Knighted Member

Kaiser only really likes two kinds of treats:

Durango Liver Chiplets - these are thin like Wheat Thins and you can break them up into little pieces easily - they're expensive, though. Best Friends General Store has them for $11.99 for a one-pound bag -
http://www.bestfriendsgeneralstore.com/m...&Category_Code=

But I just bought some from Amazon.com and they were 3 bags for $23.03!!
http://www.amazon.com/Durango-Chiple.../dp/B000GAT78A

The other treats that he likes are Old Mother Hubbard "Bitz":
They're $4.49 for 8 oz on Amazon, but I buy them in bulk at Pet Supplies Plus for $1.98/pound! They're just small pieces, but Kaiser loves them!
http://www.amazon.com/Old-Mother-Hub.../dp/B0002HBN0M

Both of these are really handy for training purposes.

Pat

Kaiser - 8 yrs old

Ray (Radar) - 8 yrs old - At the Bridge
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowI use Shelton's free range, all-natural beef franks...but I wait for them to go on sale! 3K9Mom, I hope you're laughing!
I'll have to check these out...for the kids...and maybe Dh as well!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Elite Member

I guess Apollo is an oddball, before he got sick, we used baby carrots. He likes anything pretty much.

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page