need help with 2Mo GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

need help with 2Mo GSD

Hey this is my second thread i need some help i just got a 2 month old GSD named Kayla I need some help on showing here where to use the restroom right now she is going all over the place please help thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Crowned Member

Re: need help with 2Mo GSD

Do you have a crate for her? If not, get one now! Also, get a long, light leash for her that you can have attached to you and also tied to your waist so when she is out and about she cannot go far. ALWAYS go outside with your puppy for potty breaks, NEVER let her outside alone during housebreaking.

Typical puppy schedule:
-Wake up in crate, go straight outside. Go to specific Potty Spot, give the potty command (hurry up, go potty, whatever), praise quietly while puppy goes, praise profusely when puppy is done. Give puppy a chance to go twice because some will pee a little, sniff around, and pee again.
-After first meal, straight back outside. Repeat above, praising a ton for good response.
-Naptime? Playtime? Whichever comes now, make sure puppy goes outside. Repeat above.
-Puppy can be loose SUPERVISED. Do not allow her to turn a corner or go into another room. Your eyeballs stay on her at all times. All it takes is a glance away for things to go wrong! If you have stuff to do, tie her to your waist so she can be out but cannot stray. If you cannot watch her, crate her. Listen for any whining or pay attention if she starts sniffing, because then it's time to go out.
-Lunch time. Post-lunch, take her out again.
-The above pretty much repeats itself throughout the day.
-Very last out- make sure she has plenty of time to empty herself.
-Middle of the night- I'd suggest waking up twice during the night at first, then once in the middle of the night until she's clean through the night.
-Another new day! Rush her out immediately.

Basically, after every sleep, nap, meal, and playtime, puppy should go out. Puppy should be crated when she cannot be directly watched or if it's been a long time between potties. When she can be half-watched, she should be tethered to your waist where she will always be by you. Immediately after good potty breaks should be the only time she's allowed to play loose in the house but only with DIRECT supervision and NEVER should be allowed to go into other rooms without your presence. In addition to crates, get some baby gates as well.

Good luck! She is a cutie.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Crowned Member

Buy a TINY crate (or a large one that comes with a divider to make it tiny). Diana gave great advice.

Never, ever allow your puppy to be free in the house without supervision. If she pees or poops on the floor, it was because you were not watching her. Use a teaching lead or have a dragline on her-- this means attach a very lightweight 4 - 6 ft lead to her collar when she is out of her crate.

She will need to potty in the yard after each time she eats, drinks, play (really..playtime and bouncing about makes them potty), after chewing anything, (stimulates need to go potty).. and basicly, every 2 hours is as long as she can hold it.

At night-- expect to go OUTSIDE with her at least once if not twice at this age.

Never put her outside alone. Let her potty on lead, praise her gently but warmly so she knows that is what you want her to do.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Knighted Member

I agree with everything. I wanted to add that if you DO catch her in the act what worked exceptionally well for me was a quick "NO" as I was scooping her up and carrying her outside. Since I caught it early in the process, we stayed outside until she finished her business, and when she did I praised her and told her she was the smartest puppy in the world. No corrections- just make sure it's very clear what you WANT her to do.
And please never correct after the fact. It's pointless and confusing. There should not be an "after the fact" anyway, because she should be under constant supervision. But sometimes they do squat before you can prevent it, and that is a GREAT teaching opportunity.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

thank you all for the help so far it has work very well thanks
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:57 PM

My Bogart is 8 weeks old and has been with us one week.. He is very good at letting us know he has to go potty ( starts to whine) plus we watch him like a hawk. He has had a few accidents, but we caught him in time and scooped him up. He goes potty twice in the night while we sleep. Goes to bed at 9 am gets up around 12 then back around 4am. When he gets up at 6:30 he goes out before breakfast and after.. Anywho, my concern is, this morning after his morning nap, I noticed his blanket in his crate was wet. He is very quiet puppy at night. Any suggestions on how to stop him from wetting his crate. I know he is still young. Not sure if he has done this many time, so i might be over reacting. New dad and all.
What age do they start sleeping most of the nights and not getting up every few hours?
Thanks in advance.
Bogarts Dad.

Bogart 11 years old GSD

"He/she is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Elite Member

With Ava, I washed a lot of blankets and towels for the first couple of months, I dont even know if that was normal or not, but if her blankets were wet, they went into the wash...I had 3 sets of bedding for her so she would always have dry bedding.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 02:07 PM

Thank you so much for the reasurance.

I love these forums. I have said this many time. lol Its like a little community.

Thanks again.

Bogart 11 years old GSD

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Elite Member

I love them too, they are wonderful and I have learned so much, I dont feel nearly as neurotic as I thought I was just knowing other people share my same issues....

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 AM

Bogart slept through the night and his blanket was dry. Yesterday was the first time we left him alone in the morning. I left for 3 hours to simulate going to work. When i came back that is when i noticed his blanket was wet. Up to now, Bogart has had someone home every day. Next week we both go to work, and he will be alone for 3.5 hours at a time. I will come home for lunch and let him out. Hopefully he wont wet his bed everyday. lol!

Bogart 11 years old GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page