Bailey wants to chase cars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Bailey wants to chase cars

Ok so Bailey loves to go out for walks and almost every time we go out so he can do his business he will sniff the ground and if a car passes he lunges at it as if he wants to run down the street after it. The problem is that I live on a very busy road which is the only connection to my town through the woods. It is a fast moving road and I don't want to take an chances that something will happen to him. Every time he is doing his business and a car comes I redirect his attention with a sharp NO as the car passes and his ears go up. He usually follows my command and once another car comes it is the same thing. There are alot of cars passing by here all the time so it can be endless.

I don't have this problem at night because there is almost no traffic at all and he just does his business. With Bailey i'm a strong believer that if I take you out to go potty you'd better go potty and to me a dog out doing his business or needing to do his business should have his nose to the ground sniffing for the cool potty spot. Any time he is looking around or as I say (farting around) I redirect him to move in another direction or get him to start sniffing the ground. So far its working pretty good.

In regards to Baile chasing after cars I think I already know the answer so I will say what I think I should do more to help him out with this problem. I think that Bailey is not walked enough. He goes out for pee's and comes right back in. He is in the house all the time mostly because of the weather. I think that even more at this young age he needs to learn those social skills of dealing with the outside world and getting to know all the sights and sounds of the world around him. I think that with more exposure to other people and all the cars on the road that he will get used to them as being there all the time and will forget to chase after them.

If I got this wrong please let me know because I want to do the right thing with this monkey. TTYL thanks all

The Giants 2008 Superbowl CHAMPS!
Come and check out my Bailey Updates
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New pics posted all the time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:20 PM
dd
Crowned Member

Re: Bailey wants to chase cars

He needs more exercise. Can you take him out to a fenced area and play ball with him? Can you go jogging with him? Longer walks? Agility classes?

dd

dd

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Crowned Member

He's too young to go jogging but he needs to go for walks and have outside play time every single day. He's need at least an hour of really good exercise. You can start with 3 or 4 short walks and build up to long walks. This is probably the root of most of the problems you're having with Bailey. German shepherds needs lots and lots of exercise and stimulation.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Yup, Bailey's Dad, you are right, WAY more exercise. And though you can't probably do onleash jogging on pavement (hard surface AND too repetitive) you CAN run the bejeezers out of him otherwise.

Here's a study to show what can happen if we aren't able to exercise our young pups enough for normal bone/joint growth:

http://www.showdogsupersite.com/hips.html

I have found any OFF leash activities my puppies can do are a huge help to exercise. So using a fenced yard. Or finding a fenced school yard (weekends with no school?). And all the MANY county, city, state and federal parks that have isolated hiking trails........

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Crowned Member

my youngest female tried to chase cars when she was younger, and she got Plenty of exercise. i think its a prey thing with some.
in her case i think she was to young to start walking on a busy road, i should have eased into it slower, and did just that after i realized, the to much to soon thing. soo, i would take her down to the end of the driveway a few times a day and have her sit and focus on me when cars went by, sort of de-sensatizing her. for her exercise i would go off road or in the yard for a while. i started the road thing again after i felt she was ready, and at first every time a car went by i would make her sit and focus on me and the food.

debbie

url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page