jumping up- sort of thread continuation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

jumping up- sort of thread continuation

This thread really IS about puppies jumping up, unlike the last one that was about abusive wanna be dog trainers.
Here's exactly how it goes with Lucy, and I hope y'all can tell me if I'm handling it correctly, if I need to do something more, or different.
She is thrilled to meet somebody, always. We greet her calmly, and do not encourage her to jump. What we do is if she jumps on us we fold our arms and turn our back to her. This is extremely effective, but the problem I find is others she meets are not able usually to do this for whatever reason, and I find that my corrections when she jumps on others are meaningless. So I have looked at this as something that if we continue to work at at home and puppy class will resolve itself over time. It seems like some have said that jumping up is not normal puppy behavior (which I always thought it was) and I wonder how y'all deal with it.
BTW, please keep in mind what happened- I am not opposed to using a knee to put her off balance but I wonder if that's less of an option now or maybe I should do it to let her know not to be threatened by it????

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:16 AM
Crowned Member

Re: jumping up- sort of thread continuation

Use a leash until she's capable of (because she's a puppy that will vary for quite a while) greeting people the way you want her to. No popping her lead or anything like that-put your hand way down on the leash by the clasp and work to calm the dog by petting and soft talking. Use positives only.

Meeting people appropriately=great things. When you do this with treats-the dog gets the treat only if they are sitting, you will see dogs so intent on doing it right that they will slide into a sit in front of people. The sit has to be firm-no cheat sits where the paws go up (but if the dog is a circus type you can name that-at a later point).

Practice a lot. Strangers-many-like to help with training if you give them clear directions.

Use the CGC test as a basis for some good skills for puppies to be working on developing.

Some puppies jump-some do not. I have adult dogs that are jumpers and ones who are not. My one therapy dog is crazed by visitors and has to be leashed still when someone comes in because he jumps as high as he can and is a little menace (a 38# mix). Therapy-he's fine. He just gets so excited-he's like a balloon you let the air out of flying around the room.

There are certain things I don't inhibit though-and enthusiasm to meet people is one of those things (and frankly with my dogs this is not the issue!). I just try to shape the behavior, and use leash control to help them do it appropriately.

I also name things-my dogs can give hugs (jumping up). When they jump up otherwise I will walk into them very calmly and ignore. We also have a say hello command where they greet someone briefly and return to me. All things taught over time and using treats on some pretty unsocialized dogs-but by using positives the behavior is ingrained and learned. I think so anyway!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

That sounds like exactly what I'm doing. I do not let her loose on people, and hold her like you suggested. I will ask my puppy class mates for help, since we're all on the same training page.
Thanks, you made me feel better.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Crowned Member

My eldest lept to greet friends until she was something like 4. She'd do 4 on floor and then be overwhelmed. She did outgrow it and before that as she got older it was reserved for special people. Fortunately her friends weren't the dressy sort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page