Puppy Kindergarten/Training classes - yes or no? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Kindergarten/Training classes - yes or no?

Did you put your puppy through KPT classes or any obedience classes? If so, at what age? If not, do you wish you did?

I will have lots of free time to train him myself, but I am trying to decide how vital the formal classes are.

Aaron (me)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
("Rye-Koh")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Puppy Kindergarten/Training classes - yes or no?

absolutely, but make sure the trainer is positive with everything. It is more for socializing than training, and that is what it is all about! I would take pup as soon as possible, after shots have been given. Don't let anyone correct your pup, and use common sense when interacting with other puppies.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Knighted Member

I am doing them now, and I agree with everything Onyx said. It is the socialization that was important to me, but after I got there I realized I knew a lot less about training than I thought I did.
I think the time and money spent will be a heck of an investment.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:10 AM
Knighted Member

I love puppy kindergarten classes, but I urge people to be proactive and to take your pup out of any situations that you think may be getting her too worked up or scaring her. Some PuppyK instructors just think dogs should work it all out and I don't feel that way. I observe my dogs and if I see signs of over-excitement (like picking on a smaller dog) or fear (like trying to get away from a bigger dog that is bullying her) I just simply pick my pup up, walk away, put her down and have her stay out of the group until she calms down.

If you've got a group of pups that play really well together (some rough play is expected, of course, and that's fine) then it's really fun to sit back and just watch dog behavior. You can learn a lot from observation of groups like this!

Melanie and the gnag in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Formal classes are vital (in my opinion). You can't match the socialization in what should be a fairly controlled situation. I know I never have a bunch of friends with puppies the same time I do. And it's good to have them exposed to puppies and adult dogs thru out their lives.

Additionally, dog training has changed alot in the past years. I'd rather have the instant feedback and guidance to teach/train my dog well, rather than fumble along on my own and deal with the issues that may come up from that. Dog classes are fun fun fun also, for me and my dogs. I have met friends that I've now had for years.

So we go for dog hikes, socialization events, train together (for distractions) as well as having a large group of friends that know me, know my dogs, and when I have to go on trips they can take my dogs (no kennel!!!!) and when they have to go I do the same!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Knighted Member

I did. We did it with an experienced GSD person. I was very happy fro the guidance.

Carolyn

Carolyn

Djinga "Della" von Rokanhaus

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies...i'll ask again though, because I am a bit confused with this--what age? Some classes in my area say "3+ months" however I have been told by others that 8 wks is okay? Do they just need that first set of shots, or do I have to wait til the later ones?

Aaron (me)

("Rye-Koh")

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I always try to bring my puppies as soon as allowed, even if they aren't done with their shots. I feel the importance of the socialization WAY over rides the chance of them getting sick. Specially because I have found that people that are aware enough to even pay and attend puppy classes (or most any classes) are also very good about their puppy health and more responsible than the general public.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Crowned Member

Dante was 4 months old when I brought him home in July of 2004 so I didn't have the age issue.
2004 August Puppy @ Petsmart (I had checked out the trainer first)
2004 October Training Basics @ Pup-a-Razzi
2005 February Beyond Basics @ Pup-a-Razzi
2005 August Attention @ Pup-a-Razzi
2005 October Attention @ Pup-a-Razzi

Since then it's been just training fun on my own.

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Crowned Member

Sasha started puppy kindergarten at 12 weeks - Wolfgang started at 10 weeks. We've been told it was much more important to have that socialization that the full immunization - and we're happy with the results.

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page