Recommendation? Martingale or "Pinch" collar? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Recommendation? Martingale or "Pinch" collar?

Hi everyone,
I have a 5 month old puppy, and I've just started formal obedience training with her.

My only "formal" experience of training a dog was with a Great Dane I had a number of years ago. At that time, I used a "pinch" collar at the suggestion of the trainer, and my Dane turned out to be a really well trained dog.

1.) Should I try a Martingale collar first and if I don't seem to be getting good results, then try a "pinch" collar (I hate to have to buy two different collars, though)?
2.) If I do decide to try the Martingale first, how long should I wait for results before then purchasing the "pinch" collar?
3.) Can someone recommend a good source for good quality collars and training equipment?

Thank you, have a great weekend.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Recommendation? Martingale or "Pinch" collar?

What do they have you using in class?

This is my progression-
--Flat, buckle collar
These I am not sure which I try first-I guess it depends on the dog-
--Volhard collar (not on the choke ring) http://www.handcraftcollars.com/
--Martingale collar-I get them at http://www.lupinepet.com
Then if there is still a need-and for one dog I use it as a reassuring thing for him (I'm in control, you're going to be okay) I go to a prong.

I like trying different things for different dogs to see which they respond to best. Not fastest, or because they have to, but which seems like a natural fit for them.

Mine are all on martingales for day to day things as I fear them slipping out of a buckle collar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

Personaly i wouldn't put a pinch on a puppy, but thats JMO. my pups wear a martingale nylon with chain. the chain makes better noise when you give a pop correction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

I love martingale collars. My dogs are all rescues, and came with baggage, including being frightened of people, traffic, dogs etc. The martingale type collars give me that bit of extra control, plus, unlike flat collars, I've never had anyone be able to back out of one.

I brought all my martingales from the UK, so don't know of any good suppliers in this country. I should add that my martingales are flat webbing, with the loop being chain. The martingales I've seen in the US have been all webbing.

Joanne, Spirit and ELi

Joanne,
Spirit, Eli, and Aoibhe (Disabled GSD's)
Duncan, Sam, Carl and Tesla (Black Lab mixes who think all GSD's are airheads)
Teddy ("the Corgi")

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:29 PM

At 5 months old I would use a Martingale collar too. No matter what collar you use you have to learn how to use it to make the proper correction with it.

I agree no Prong for a while if ever. Ask your instructor for the correct use of the collar you choose. They work well if used right.

Training isn't expensive.... IT'S PRICELESS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page