Bailey is afraid of the car - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Bailey is afraid of the car

When we picked up Bailey he had a bad experience in the car. It was his first car ride and he puked all over a few times before we got home. His next experience in the car he puked all over again. The third time he went out in the car was when I took him to the vet. Since that "Bailey is afraid of the car". I mean he is so afraid of the car that when we go out for a walk he freaks out 20 feet away and pulls back. I have to practically drag him to get him going again... Once we get passed the area of the car he is fine again. Any time we turn towards the direction of the car he gets freaked out and pulls away.
To try and remedy this I started to bring him closer to the car and walk around the car several times. and he calms down and is back to normal. I then opened the car door and sat inside and talked to Bailey in a sweet manner and coaxed him to hoop in the car. We did this several times and walked around the car alot.
I am making it fun for him to want to get in the car. the more fun it is the easier it will be for him to get over his fear.
After all this every time I take Bailey out he still freaks out and pulls back and digs in and tries to pull away. We get passed the car and even went to the curb end of the lawn and walked away from the car atleast 200 feet, he pee'd and then we turned around to walk back and even from that far away he freaked and pulled away as it every time he sees the car it means we are going for a ride. Again i brought him closer to the car and once we were within a few feet he again submitted and calmed down.

If anyone has any help or advice for me beyond what i'm already doing, please let me know. I hate to see Bailey having such a hard time with something small

The Giants 2008 Superbowl CHAMPS!
Come and check out my Bailey Updates
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New pics posted all the time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 04:17 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Bailey is afraid of the car

Hi Bailey! and Dad!
Sounds like the first few car rides Bailey did not have the best of times, the vomiting and then vet! nobody's fault, Bailey just has had a few bad experiences with the car..the car sickness, i have googled it and it seems alot of it it stress (like first bringing a pup home), but maybe some others can chime in on wether their dog's have true car sickness, and what to do.

I think what you are trying is good, associating the car with good things..try some treats too! Also, are you taking Mr. Bailey out for fun trips? If you can get him in the car, take him fun fun places, I know he is young, so maybe friends houses, parks where you can romp with him, ect. Just as long as it is positive. Start slow, like him in the car with a treat, then maybe turn the car on, then go for a spin around the block. Take it as slow as Bailey needs. I dont know if you have tried it but put his crate in the car so he feels more comfortable in his den, not to mention it is safer.

Also, make sure he has went to the bathroom, and ate his lunch/dinner earlier, so less likelihood of an upset tummy.

hope that helps, and I am sure you will get other great advice, good luck

there is also a lot of links out there if you search google for car sickness, dogs in the car, ect

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Crowned Member

I had this problem with my DeeDee, the breeder gave her a nice BIG breakfast before I got there against me asking her not to. (sigh) She threw up at least 5 times on the way home. We did a 4 min. stop just so her tummy would settle down and she would drink a little water, I didn't want her dehydrating on me.

Step 1. What I did was a lot of time and dedication, but it worked. First plan on 15 mins or so every other day. Take pup put him in the car and don't start the car or move the car. Big treats as soon as you get out of the car, watch the pup and if it's seems relaxed then it is time to move to the next step.

Step 2. Which is start the vehicle let it run for a min. (don't move), turn vehicle off, let pup sit for a few more minutes, exit vehicle and give lots of yummy treats. Do this step until the pup is comfortable and you can have the engine running for about 5 mins.

You time increases at this point.
Step 3. Start the movement phase. Start with getting the pup comfortable like in steps one and two, now move the vehicle about a block's worth of distance. Get the pup out and big treats. Every other day you increase the distance a little. Always stop the trip before the pup gets sick. Say you are too far from home to walk the pup back home, get you and the pup out of the vehicle and walk around for 15 mins or so, then pup back in the car and go home. Once home big treats. Every time try to increase you distance a litttle.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Master Member

beamer was pretty scared the first couple times in the car, we kept the back window open a little so she can stick her nose out & i stop at the convience store & get her a pig ear so it's like a reward.

the vet said to us that you really need to reward it, like give her a piece of treat for getting in, sitting down, whatever. beamer puked the first couple times too, now she just puts her nose out the window (& sits in my daughters carseat)

beamer - black/tan gsd 6/11/07
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

Most important don't give bailey anything to eat before you do this. Otherwise its just giving her ammo. I thought that when we had the same problem treat them like you would yourself with a full belly they wouldn't get sick- wrong this just gave them ammo for me to have to clean up later
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:53 PM

the same thing happened to me when i had Argo, he puked the first time, then the second time, he almost puked but then he didnt.

what u should do, is let some1 else drive, and sit in the back seat with him, and have him in your lap. hold his stomach lightly and pet him, also, play some soft music (it helps) after a couple rides he should be used to it. but dont leave him alone in the back seat, until he is comfortable with u and he just goes to the other side and relaxs on his own, its a slow process, but he will get used to it. (=

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page