training update. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

training update.

i googled more on training, plus i read all of your tips & we were definitely being more aggressive towards her than we should've. i know it's only been like 3 days since i posted, but my husband had the last 2 days off of work & he worked with her the whole time.

he got her to stay when the cats ran by, just by saying "beamer stay" repeatedly. also, he was able to let go of the leash, & walk away from her (or have me walk into the other room) without her running after me. she has always known sit & come, btw. & we managed to get her to understand down, also.

we haven't given her as much exercise as we'd like, it's been really cold & with a baby we can't give her walks unless it's at least a little warm. but we took her for a walk yesterday, & she has a 30ft chain right outside our door that she "chases" the cats on, outside i really don't care about the cats. but it seems like she knows not to go after them inside right now. we took her for a lot of walks when it was warmer out, & will continue to do so.

my biggest problem we found was that she won't listen to ME if my husband is home. not that i care, since he's working with her while i'm doing other things, but if he leaves the room or is busy with something else she ignores me, but obeys him completely. we do just give little tugs on the collar if she disobeys but it seems to be working.

thanks everyone. =)

beamer - black/tan gsd 6/11/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: training update.

Wonderful news! Sounds like you guys are making great progress. Keep up the good work and I'm sure things will work out fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

thanks. =) also i forgot to add when she is outside on her chain, there is a old like 15ft leash she broke stuck in the ice, & she yanks it around to try & get it out, so it wears her out pretty well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Elite Member

way to go! keep up the great work, its really paying off!

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page