Down command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Down command

I taught my puppy sit and down. (lay down). He got sit in a few minutes very easy. Down he got pretty easily too he doesnt just lay down he basically throws his front legs out and slams to the floor its quite funny. But he has a new habbit of when i say down. he lays down and starts barking...i think he wants to play. (i tell him down before I throw a toy for him). Should i correct the barking or just let it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Master Member

Re: Down command

Mine flops down like I shot him. It makes me laugh everytime. Honestly it looks like Cooper laughs too. It is by far his favorite command. I think it is because I always giggle and fuss over him when he flops down. People in puppy class love to see it.
I am glad to see there are olther odd balls out there.

Michelle
Ava (6 yr old boxer)
Mia (4 yr old Brussels Griffon)
Quincy (GSD 10/03/07)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 03:17 AM

dont correct the bark - teach it! as he barks give a command word for it, bark, speak, talk for example.

Sasha - 10 months old

"Dear Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am, failing that, make everybody think like my dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 06:40 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

Both my Shepherds bark/groan in protest every time I tell them to lay down. Don't have this back talk issue with any other command unless my dogs are in drive. But geez...tell them to platz and whine whine whine!

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Crowned Member

Put him in a Down and look over him with a blank stare in your face. When he stops barking by half a second (he has to breath some day) release him from the Down with a big party. Slowly make this moments longer until you have him looking at you, knowing that is the behaviour that means release. Slowly make the release partly less fun has he understand the concept, to not over-excite the dog

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page