Stubborn housebreaker!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Stubborn housebreaker!!!!

He will pee outside and poop outside and then come in and pee and poop in the house. He already knows its wrong because when he does it he slinks off to a corner and looks at me with that just ate the neighbors cat look on his face.

This morning he started to poop in the house, I yelled and he stopped and I took him outside for the better part of 30 minutes and he did NOTHING. Then we went in and he pooped on the floor and ate it before I could stop him. We plan to give him some pineapple to curb the poop eating but the question now is, What to do what to do what to do

The Giants 2008 Superbowl CHAMPS!
Come and check out my Bailey Updates
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New pics posted all the time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Stubborn housebreaker!!!!

Keep him in his crate and take him directly outside in the same place everytime. Use a key word to tell him to go, stay with him. Tie his leash to you if he is not crated. Remember that he is still very young, and it may take time to teach him. When you catch him, say sternly "outside" and take him right out.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Crowned Member

He's not stubborn, he's just not sure how everything works including getting the feeling of having to go = getting outside. If you think about how long it takes to potty train a human (especially [generally] a boy) you will definitely rethink the stubborn. It's a complicated process involving brain, GI tract, communication between species. I am amazed we can do it at all!

I think others will come on with concrete information on how best to do the actual thing (think bell, staying out after potties, giving it a name, schedule, leashing, rugs=grass) but I just wanted to say he's doing great so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Bailey's Dad He already knows its wrong because when he does it he slinks off to a corner and looks at me with that just ate the neighbors cat look on his face.
No, he doesn't know it's wrong. Dogs don't think that way. He's slinking off into a corner because he's reading your emotions and reacting to them. He doesn't associate it with what he did.

How old is this pup?

Not only do puppies pee and poop frequently, but it's also not unusual at all for puppies to need to pee and poop multiple times in one setting. Just because he does each once when he's outside doesn't mean he's done, and he may need more time outside before coming back in.

Is he on a strict feeding and potty schedule? That will help tremendously.

If he does have an accident indoors, make sure to use an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution to thoroughly clean the area. Regular household cleaners may seem to remove it, but they leave residual scent behind. You may not be able to still smell pee/poop there, but dog's can. Dogs are very scent oriented when it comes to relieving themselves and if they smell that they've peed/pooped somewhere before they are more likely to return to that spot to do it again, and smelling it will also trigger a response to pee or poop. So you need to make sure any possible pee/poop smell is removed from the house so he can't smell it.

Dogs are creatures of habit. Everytime he potty's in the house he's learning that it's ok to potty in the house. Correcting him for doing so isn't the answer, as many dogs will simply learn that they shouldn't pee/poop in your presence, not that they shouldn't do it in the house. So they may just learn to sneak off to a corner where you can't see them to pee/poope, and they may become less likely to potty outside when you're with them because they fear corrections from doing it in your presence.

You need to be proactive and prevent him from doing it altogether, not just wait to correct him when he does. Make sure he's on a schedule and take him out frequently, making sure to give him plenty of time to pee or poop multiple times if he needs to. Never let him out of your sight when in the house. Use doors/babygates or a leash tied to your beltloop to keep him nearby at all times. And watch him. Any sniffing the ground or circling indicates he's getting ready to potty, so get him outside quick. And make sure to praise him lavishly everytime he potty's outside. When you can't keep one eye glued to the pup at all times, he should be in a crate where he can't get into trouble and where natural instinct will tell him not to pee or poop.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:16 AM

My Pitt Bull rescue was really hard to train but the vet told me something that worked quickly. She told me to take a really yummy treat outside with me (I used Pupperoni) and give it to her the minute she did her business. She said if you wait until they come back inside to reward them they may have already forgotten what they did right.

I fought with this dog for a few months on training until I used this method. She got it in less than a week using this suggestion.

We did keep her crated in between going outside.

Good luck!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAANHe's not stubborn, he's just not sure how everything works including getting the feeling of having to go = getting outside. If you think about how long it takes to potty train a human (especially [generally] a boy) you will definitely rethink the stubborn. It's a complicated process involving brain, GI tract, communication between species. I am amazed we can do it at all!

I think others will come on with concrete information on how best to do the actual thing (think bell, staying out after potties, giving it a name, schedule, leashing, rugs=grass) but I just wanted to say he's doing great so far.
Hit the nail on the head! Great advice!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Master Member

All the things mentioned above worked for me. Bella is 6 months old now and I still keep an eye on her just to be sure...shes got it down pretty good but she wont bark or anything to go out. She will, however, sit at the door. I just have to be there to see her waiting. I used the treat trick and it worked great. I still treat her when she potties but not everytime. Its very sporadic but I keep at it to reinforce that shes doing a good thing.

Jen

Bella Sara 7/04/07
Niyol Von Der Sauk a/k/a Tanis 6/1/09
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 AM

The age thing. Maybe is 12 weeks and she just started getting the 'clean' word. I can go outside, say 'clean' and see pees. More clean, and she poops!

Take a bit getting used to it, but what all pp said.

Maesi GSD/Lab mix 11/21/07

+ 2 kids (3 and 1) + Husband
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Caitlin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted By: Bailey's Dad:
He already knows its wrong because when he does it he slinks off to a corner and looks at me with that just ate the neighbors cat look on his face.

No, he doesn't know it's wrong. Dogs don't think that way. He's slinking off into a corner because he's reading your emotions and reacting to them. He doesn't associate it with what he did.
Exactly.

I also agree with everything Chris said. Corrections don't serve any purpose until the dog knows what it's doing wrong, which isn't the case now. Just make sure you reward him like crazy every single time he pees or poops outside, get him on a regular feeding schedule, and give him plenty of time outside to use the bathroom as much as he needs to.

Artax - Akita Rescue - 1/1/13
Kokoro - Kitty Rescue - 2/3/08

Mali - Long Coat GSD - 10/14/03 - 10/28/13

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Crowned Member

Saying a puppy "knows it's wrong" is like saying an infant knows something is wrong. Their minds just don't work that way.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page