Petsmart training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Petsmart training?

My puppy was removed too soon from its litter mates, so it didn't get full benefit of socialization with its siblings. As a result, the puppy is frightened of new people and other dogs. It seems that puppy kindergarten is in order to help rectify these problems. I have two choices: One is Petsmart which is fairly close by and the other is a regular training/boarding outfit.

Any opinions on Petsmart basic puppy training and socializing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

Re: Petsmart training?

I don't know to much about petsmart training program, But the socialization couldn't hurt you pup.How old was your pup when you recieved Him/her?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Knighted Member

I have not personally been in a Petsmart training, but there's been a lot of discussion here about it. And it sounds like it can be hit or miss. It all depends on the trainer(s) in your area and their experience.

In addition to the comments you will get here, I would recommend that you go and observe a training class at all places you are considering before enrolling. That way you'll have an idea on your comfort level with the trainer and classes.

I agree with chuck - Socialization is very important for your puppy.

Good luck!!

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Sugar was taken from her litter at 5 weeks. She was a gift so it wasn't my decision to take her so early. The breeder was apparently trying to raise some cash for christmas. She's a bit over 10 weeks now. I've tried my best to socialize her, but it's a bit isolated here so there is not much opportunity to meet and interact with other people and dogs.

It came home today when I had a guest over to see how she would react. She whined and wet herself. Not good, so something needs to be done.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Benedict was taken from his litter at six weeks. However, he adores people, just not other dogs. He shies from them, even the tiniest ones.
I'll be considering training in the future, but I'm thinking about sticking to dog parks and dogs of people I know.

In the meantime, why not find a bench at the park and allow your puppy to become desensitized to people and dogs walking by? Soon it'll be -- no pun intended -- a walk in the park.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

Calipso This really bothers me when a breeder lets the health and temperment go to the way side just to get money for christmas We had a litter that was sold and I even held pups for 2-3 weeks before christmas. This is the exact reason there are pups like yours that have socialization problems. I rarely let pups go before 10 week so that a person like yourself doesn't have to do the work that I was here to do myself. Good luck with you little guy
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JennyJenBenedict was taken from his litter at six weeks. However, he adores people, just not other dogs. He shies from them, even the tiniest ones.
I'll be considering training in the future, but I'm thinking about sticking to dog parks and dogs of people I know.
Just be careful with this. I go to different dog boards and am always reading horror stories of strangers' dogs attacking or bullying other people's dogs and puppies and then they have to spend months re-socializing their dog and spend hundreds to pay for a professional behaviorist. It goes the other way too: some people are not too happy that their dogs are being used to socialized fearful dogs. It can do a lot of damage both ways. IMO, the best way to work with a dog that already has fear issues is under the guidance of an experience professional, in a controlled environment.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I think for young puppies and socialization, as long as the other pups are about the same age, Petsmart is ideal.

But for the future training, I'd be keeping my eyes open for something with trainers with a bit more experience and background than normally found at Petsmart.

Just continue to bring your puppy out and about without completely overwhelming it. Bring lots of treats and toys for reassurance and comfort. And if you have to go slowly, use distance to get more puppy calm before pushing it in a situation that may be just a bit too much. You can't avoid scary stuff, but you also don't want to push the puppy into a frantic FREAK OUT with an overload of sensation. So while a loud siren on a police car driving past me on the sidewalk may be too much right now for a puppy, maybe if it's a street over the puppy will be just fine.

And don't necessarily reassure and baby a puppy when they are uncomfortable in a new situation, that can backfire and make the puppy think they were right and that WAS really terrifying. If instead we can igore the scary 'whatever' and go on like normal. Then the puppy will start thinking 'um, if Mom's ok then it must be ok and I'll just go sniff over here at this yummy old piece of gum'.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

I'm not expecting Petsmart to do any serious training. I'm just looking to correct the socialization issues. I've made it a point to ignore potentially scary events so that the puppy will hopefully learn to ignore them as well.

I had a strange incident today where the puppy saw an upright vacuum sitting in the middle of the room. The fear response kicked in once again. I was able to calm the puppy by mock playing with the vacuum while sitting on the floor. Sugar's curiosity final kicked in and she came over to see what I was playing with. She even gave it a couple of nips and then lost interest in it when it didn't respond. I think her fears can be addressed successfully if she just gets some controlled exposure.

Under no circumstances do I reinforce fear responses thru comforting. I walk over to whatever is causing the fear and interact with it in a calm manner while the puppy watches.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like you are doing the right thing with her fear/ socializing but she still should go to a professional training facilitiy where there is structure. And do go and observe ahead of time as a previous op suggested. This is a really imprinting stage in your pups life and you should make sure you are doing the right thing for her, which from your posts seem like you are! Good luck and enjoy her innocence

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page