easy to train?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

easy to train??

from everyones experience has ur GSD been easier or harder to train/teach?? how has ur experience been?? sorry if this is an old question

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

Re: easy to train??

Most GSDs are very smart and learn real quick.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Elite Member

too smart fot their own good sometimes! LoL

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:41 PM

The only challenge ive had with hannah is her being too smart! She will learn anything i tell her or teach her in a day, two at the most.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Knighted Member

Most GSD's are bred for the combination of intelligence, solid nerves, and biddability resulting in a smart, rock solid dog that is willing to please. As long as we do not screw them up they are wonderful.

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

so far ive noticed that hes smarter then i think he is i didnt know they developed this fast..he knows when hes in trouble and he seems to act up more for my g/f then me..shes a softy for animals..especially puppy's lol..im tryin to get her to "tuffin" up on him so he knows that we are both boss and not just me

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:22 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I think both easier and harder. Because my GSD's won't just 'do it' cause I asked or made them. I needed to learn to be SMART so I could first teach them to WANT to listen and WANT to learn, and then the same willingness to 'be in the game' and learn the new behaviors come easy.

But if I couldn't get their attention, or figure out a way to have them want to be a willing member and partner in the training, then forget it.

So cause I had to greatly improve the dog skills I though I had (and did not) I've really enjoyed learning and attending all the dog classes/seminars so I know am a much better partner in this.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Crowned Member

I've found they are easier to train than other breeds I've owned...but they also NEED more training. Otherwise, you've got a hard-headed, bossy, super-intelligent 90-pound beast trying to run your household for you.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

Luca says, "Arf!"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Luca_stlI've found they are easier to train than other breeds I've owned...but they also NEED more training. Otherwise, you've got a hard-headed, bossy, super-intelligent 90-pound beast trying to run your household for you.
What Tracy said.

If you train a lot when they're small pups, and make it a lot of fun, then they'll like to learn and their brains will be wired for learning. The more I train, the more trainable my dogs get. It's like they're just waiting for new things to learn.

You said something about your dog "knowing when he's in trouble." There's a book called "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson (you can get it at Amazon.com) that you might find really useful. It's an interesting book, has a lot of great training tips and fascinating insight into how a dog might think.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 06:48 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Quote: Most GSDs are very smart and learn real quick.
While I absolutely agree with that, I don't agree that training GSD's are 'easy'. But not cause they are dumb and slow.

More cause they have SO much energy they can frustrate and wear most of us down. And SO smart they will get bored and test us and not keep working with us cause they would rather smell this, or look at that, or run over there...........

So I found both my GSD's took WAY more time to train. I needed alot more skills to train them than my first dog (a Labrador retriever). Way more patience. I had to become a smart trainer, because just correcting and popping the collar with the 'I said you are going to do it so you will' was just not working with the GSD's.

And the fact I had to exercise the bejeezers out of the GSD's almost every day so they'd have the edge off so they could listen and obey and learn? No more coming home, taking off my work clothes and putting my feet up to watch tv, eat dinner and veg until bedtime (or do all the family stuff and chores). Those darn GSD puppies had to be my priority for TIME management for about the first year or I had heck to pay!!!!

Thank goodness for all the wonderful dog classes, trainers and instructors who helped out!!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page