Puppy Kindergarden? This one too strict? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Puppy Kindergarden? This one too strict?

Petsmart only had one pup in the class time I wanted so I signed up for First Friends PK. They raise, sell and compete German Shep so I thought this would be ideal.

My breeder said just find a place at this age that kept the learning light and focused on socialization.

The class size is 10 pups, large agility type room. For the first week we focus on the clicker, sit in front and come around and sit on the left?
I asked if they use the prong collar. She said no (phew) maybe by week 5. (yikes) that would make Cooper 16 weeks.

Am I in too deep? Cooper is laid back and easy going but WILL be a large dog and I DO want to be on top of things but I also believe intimidation does not produce well rounded dogs.

Thoughts? I will read the course book and see whatelse worries me.

Michelle
Ava (6 yr old boxer)
Mia (4 yr old Brussels Griffon)
Quincy (GSD 10/03/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to wrenny
Re: Puppy Kindergarden? This one too strict?

My puppy K had heeling and all the basic commands. Some lenghty heeling and stuff.

No prong collars. That's definately too young. Maybe she was saying she'd train YOU on them for future use? I dunno.

Lex, 10 years old RIP
Lincoln 4 months old.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Knighted Member

Prong collars are a no no in puppy k.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Puppies are little learning sponges. It doesn't sound like it is too much if it is positive, fun and rewarding for the puppy.

No need for prongs for a puppy. Sounds like your trainer is pretty flexible on the issue. Just say no .

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Banned

no prong, no prong. my puppy classes were light and fun. there was 4 puppies in the class. there was clicker training going on. we didn't do any of the clicker training. i'm not a fan of it. we were there for the socalizing. it was at our vets office so they did everything. mocks examinations, they would ride the exam table up and down. the exam table is electric and it goes all the way down to the floor and up to waist high. bubble wrap was on the floor in one of the rooms and they had to walk across it. the humanes liked that part also. there were cats there that would come up to the puppies. there was a tunnel in front of one of the doors that puppies had to walk through to go into another room. nail clipping, mouth exams, etc. it was a great class. also by it being at the vets office i didn't have to go there when he wasn't being treated. i always take my dogs to the vet when their not being treated so they don't associate the vets office as a place of discomfort. we go there and vet would just pet them and give them treats and maybe just rub here hands over him or look is mouth or something. now when go to vet it's fun time.get alot of socializing in with people, dogs, cats, the woods, the city, car rides etc. expose them to as much as you can. good luck and stay on this site. these people really know dogs. they also really about the GSD. good luck!!!!!
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Banned

how old is your dog? my dog didn't do any real training untill he 4 months. he house broken, knew his name and was comfortable with his collar and crate. check around and see if he's to young for formal training?
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Knighted Member

Too young for prong... YES. Too young for positive inductive formal training... NO. I don't like formal healing at this age, but that is a personal preference for the dog I want to develop. Sit, down, recall, recall, recall, recall (get how important that one is?), focus, etc is quite appropriate to teach positively and the perfect time for a trainer to work with you as well.

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to wrenny

Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggiedadhow old is your dog? my dog didn't do any real training untill he 4 months. he house broken, knew his name and was comfortable with his collar and crate. check around and see if he's to young for formal training?
I don't think hes too young for it. He needs the socialization and before 4 months is key to that socialization.

The basics were taught good in puppy K but when we did heeling it was just hit or miss. If your dog didn't get it, it was okay because he's a puppy. It was all for socilization and seeing other dogs and new environments for Puppy K.

Lex, 10 years old RIP
Lincoln 4 months old.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for the responce. I read the course handbook and it di not mention the prong so maybe I miss heard the lady. Also the handbook was stressing positives so I feel better. One ting they wanted us to work on (Iwill not) is the suborninance roll. Pinning the puppy down for x amount of time so the pup KNOWS you have physical dominance over him. PLEASE! I have done it once but I hope I have the balls to refuse the exercise inclass. I am not known for my backbone but I am pumping myself up. At this point disagreeing with one exercise is not worth cancelling.

Also they insist on Bordetella for all the pups? I have to run to the vets today and get that done.

Michelle
Ava (6 yr old boxer)
Mia (4 yr old Brussels Griffon)
Quincy (GSD 10/03/07)
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Knighted Member

Great. Another class that teaches the alpha roll. My opinion is that I would not work with this class unless you are 100% prepared to say no and not do certain things the instructor is asking. My Spidey sense is tingling. Something tells me this will be bad.

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page